Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Combat Swimming 101


I swim with the Rochester Area Masters Swim Team (RAMS) at the Harley school on Wednesday and Friday morning. Unbelievably this is my 6th year under the guidance of Lorie Rick, the best swim coach on earth. Our team is divided into 3 groups: Floaters, Boomers and Studs. Floaters are the beginners, Boomers are the middle, and Suds are the fast group.

I have been a happy member of the Boomers for a good five years. Being the fastest Boomer, I have often been prodded to take the leap into Stud world, however I grew comfortable in my lead role as Boomer Queen. My 100's on 1:20 were comfortable, and I got complacent.

Since September I have gotten on the school bus as I finally made the jump into the Stud Lane. I have resided happily in this lane ever since as I am seeing an improvement in my times. Going from line leader to caboose was not as hard as I thought it would be. No longer am I in charge of counting lengths, 100's, keeping track on the pace clock, etc. Now I essentially swim for my life and hope for a break.

Last week I had a breakthrough set. We were assigned 6 X 125 on 1:15. In my mind I had the idea that I would be sprinting a 700, which was just fine with me. However after the first 125 I was at the wall with plenty of time of a drink and a goggle clearing. Whew! I made it, progress!

The move to Studville has not come without it's initiation. Two weeks ago I walked away from practice with a black eye, black enough to gain concern form society. It was innocent enough, I was coming up for a breath during breaststroke when Bill was flying in the other direction, not taking a breath. The beck of his left hand met midair with my sweedish goggle, which sent me reeling into space for just a few seconds. I managed to pull together to finish the set and practice though!

Last week we were doing a set of 75's in which the first 25 was a sculling drill. As I sculled my way down the length I felt a pair of feet on my head, using me for a little push off. While that sent me back a little bit I did make the interval. Progress!

That same practice Erik Grimm knocked my right paddle off three times, I got accidentally swum into, and then over.

Now one might think that our swim team is dangerous and physical, it really is not. Things can happen when you swim in close quarters and it is the fault of three of us who regularly don't pay attention. Bill tends to swim with his eyes closed, and Erik and I have wide swings.

Remember we are triathletes also and these little moments go a long way when the gun goes off and 2000 hyper triathletes run into the water together. A hit to the head.... not a big deal. Swum over.... heck I do that every day... shoulder lock....... I can recover from that quite easily.

So it is the bigger picture we need to remember when faced with these combat like situations. They too can be fun, they too can be learning experiences, and when I have good swims in 2007, I will thank the guys for the ride on the bus!

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: