Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving Thanks

It's funny because if I posted a picture of my hair cut, you would wonder what has changed. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Two inches shorter but when you can still pull on your own hair when you reach your hand up your back, 2 inches isn't noticeable. It's healthier, and I don't know why it took 2 hours to cut, but I got to drink coffee.

I wake up this morning feeling pretty excited, which is odd because I am not spending Thanksgiving with the boys. As strange as that sounds, you have to realize that I am a nurse and even though I work 2 days a week, holidays come with that territory. I usually choose to work Thanksgiving because when the big family descends upon us all at Christmas I don't have to work. Besides after I get my Masters (2 years!) then I won't have to do any more holidays.

I send the boys out to my mother in laws a few hours away. She's in her eighties and she's alone and it is far more important that she have company. Besides I get to spend the day taking care of kids and that's a good Thanksgiving gift. Both to them and to myself. Besides every day is Thanksgiving with these guys.

And then I eat less too. Icing on the cake.

So I awake this morning with a sense of excitement and wonder. My first big race is now in April, which seems so close. I finally finalized my race schedule and I love the feeling of wonder. I've never been to New Orleans. I've never done a 24 hour triathlon. I've never felt so strong about opportunity and possibility as I do right now.

2008 had some good stuff in it, but it also had much heartbreak and just, strange things happen. I learn more form these kinds of seasons than I do from the really good ones. But it's been a bit since I have had a really good one, so I have to admit I am hungry for one.

So it is time to hit the bike here at early o'clock. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

1 comment:

Damie said...

ummmm everything looks good except the schedule in May- ummmm, no Memphis in May????