Tuesday, June 16, 2009

eat this!

Yesterday I received my 35 page nutrition manual from Coach Jesse. I had been warned and warned and warned about everything I will have to give up. I have read through his nutritional principles and Core Diet recommendations....... I was afraid to be banned from coffee and now peanut butter......

Then we talked. This guy likes his athletes to know exactly what the plan is and why your heart takes every beat that it does. We went through the manual page by page by page. This nutrition program is not at all far off from the way I have been working tirelessly to eat through the past 5 months. In fact..... it's spot on line with that I have been doing..... now we make some revisions to mold to the athlete..... and we are golden.

I think the three resources that would be most helpful for the athlete are these:

The Ultramind Solution by Dr. Hyman

The Core Diet Recommendations by Jesse Korpelnicki

The Glycemic Index.

What Jesse does with all of this is bring it into the world of an athlete.

The problem is not our training, we all train hard. As I have failed at the 70.3 distance in recent years I always look at my training. My training logs are great, my data rocks. I train my ass off and it does not show in my results.

Jessee is teaching me just how poor my nutritional protocol for myself was. I council my athletes to better nutrition before, during and after a race than I follow myself. My calories are good. My protein is terrible, my fat content is good but could be better quality.

The nutritional program of QT2 is about quality and timing.

It's not that coffee and peanut butter are bad for you. They are not. Coffee is good when used at the right time. It gets grouped in with the High Glycemic Index foods and how they affect our blood sugar. There is a time and a place and a purpose for it.

Right now I am drinking green tea. There is a lot of purpose to Green Tea.

Peanut butter? It's not a bad food to have, but there are better choices, foods with more bang for their buck. I am a peanut butter addict. A.D.D.I.C.T. But give me a purpose and a good reason to make a better choice.......

It's already been done.

After an hour on the phone last night listening, note taking, and getting it, I mean really getting it...... I truly understand how all of this ties together. I understand how to use nutrition as my ally and not as my enemy. I understand that timing is everything and I can eat all day long.

Every time I get off the phone with Jesse I have a new piece of understanding, and increased passion for this program that I am on. I am getting itchy to race, yet I know I am not ready. I have a few more weeks. We need to roll all of this together.

I am planning on racing at A Tri In The Buff Intermediate Distance on July 5th, 2 weeks before the Musselman. Musselman will be a B priority race for me as we are still in the beginning of this. Typically my parents steal Luc for the morning so we can both race. However they have guests that weekend, and Curt is gearing for Nationals, so he needs a tune up. So if I can find some help, great, if not, I am looking for a Saturday race that weekend.

I have a great second half of the season schedule that I will post soon (just me being lazy)...... one thing is for sure..... I will arrive in Clearwater hungry, and ready.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I'm a peanut butter addict too sister! I can't wait to see where all this takes you this season!!! :)