Friday, October 3, 2008

day two in texas!

This is a bike Lance rode, and I am touching it!

Texas Longhorn Day two

The summary of our day, Ken said it best:

"We swam in cold water. We had an overly expensive dinner. And we paid a bum."

Day two in Austin makes me want to move here. Texans are so damn cool and I want to be a Texan. I want to walk around and say y'all without looking like a poser. I know the Hook em Horns sign and I know I belong….. another homeless man acknowledged that I know!!!! (This is Kim lounging in the back of the van.......)

We began today with a visit to the world's largest natural spring. I have pictures but I have the wrong cable, so I will post those when we come home. I do have a few from the phone however.
(Guess whose jerseys these are????)

The world's largest swimming pool was about 1/4 mile long of cool water. My Blue Seventy point zero3 suit felt great. I ducked in behind Ken not only for the draft but there were a lot of triathletes swimming in all directions. I needed no swim accidents today! I ran into Bree Wee and after much much convincing I allowed her to borrow the swim helmet. I assured her that neither her coach nor her fans would think she was a loser if she chose to wear it on Sunday. Most importantly neither would I.

We made a quick change and headed out for a short bike ride. Gears clicked through smoothly.

Then it was time. I ran today. I ran with pain level of 1. Not even a one. It was more of a sensation than a pain. After a few surges…. nothing. It was a little tight, and who knows what will happen after a 1.2 mile swim and a 56 mile bike; but right now I have hope.

The Daily Juice was our next stop where Bree Wee was found to be following us. Except she showed up ahead of us. Careful planning. There we had some of the best organic juice I have ever had. A perfect way to begin the day.

The rest of the day was a mixture of rest and being busy. A trip to Mellow Johnny's, Lance's Bike shop. Athlete registration. Expo shopping. Feet up. Hydration. The days before a race are so darn fun and exciting.
(Who's bike is THIS?)


We got the craziness out of the way and now it is time.

To rest and to prepare.

The weather is quite good. I am so happy to be in sun and I am so happy to be warm that I welcome Sunday. I am so hopeful that I won't be in pain and that if I am in pain it will not be too horrible.

Tonight I took something that has been known to hold me back before. I took it and I allowed myself to feel it and then I allowed myself to let it go. With a great big inhale and a great big exhale.

FEAR.

What am I afraid of? I am afraid of not being able to finish this race because I am in pain.

I felt it. I acknowledged it and now it is gone. Moving past it my focus and my thoughts are on preparation. That means focusing on success. Like Elizabeth pointed out, there is always opportunity for success. There are so many successes I have the opportunity to have on Sunday and my priority is being at the finish line.

Maybe to you that could seem like a silly goal. But when you are removed from a race course by an ambulance, watching your bike get loaded onto a truck and a race you love continue on without you, the finish line is not taken for granted. It means something. It means something to me.

My passion for this sport grows deeper with each success and each failure. I have never wanted to quit and walk away. I look around at the five people who are with me. I look around at the friends I have made around the world. I call home and speak to the boys who are my family.

This sport has given me much more than awards. It's given me a family and friends whom I consider to be my family.

It's off to bed. Tomorrow will be a very relaxed day, and then Sunday, FINALLY that gun will go off.

I just can't wait.

6 comments:

wiley said...

In today's essential oils class with Cyndi she shared she had been wearing a necklace that said fearlessness. She just recently took it off saying it was an unrealistic expectation to put on herself. We all experience fear but it is having the courage to act that is the key. So today was all about courage-having the courage to face our fears and move forward. I send you my very best karma, Mary! Kick butt in Texas!

Pedergraham said...

Mary, Have a GREAT race! Hook'em!!!

BreeWee said...

YOU are going to ENJOY tomorrow and CELEBRATE that you are swimming, biking, running all morning long!

I will look for you on the loopy run course...

Have fun "touching" bikes... ha ha ha
I heard he will be at the finish line waiting to catch you.

Missy said...

Take it from one who knows; the fact that your last race left you feeling 'less than successful', your undoubted success in this one is going to mean twice as much!
Give 'em hell Mary!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Best of luck in your race!

Laura said...

Was that Hincapie's bike? I SO want to do that race now! I'm such a Gorgeous George stalker - I mean fan... :)