Sunday, September 2, 2007

The calm after the storm

(Please excuse my spelling..... everything is in German on the blogger!)

Just as quickly as it came, the ITU World Triathlon Championships are over. The athlete village is torn down and as we linger on here a few days, the team jackets will grow sparse. On Sunday it was a city filled with screaming fans... I hope in my next life I am an Australian. They like to paint their faces and have a neat "AUSSIE AUSSIE" cheer. They have so much national pride I almost painted my face green!

During the age group race I saw so much... I saw the race of his life from Curt Eggers. Gone was the man who will tend to look over his shoulder or ask his position. Here was the most focued, smooth, hard running Curt I have ever seen. On the course Curt bonded with a Frenchman and experienced sportsmanship from a stranger. One of those people whom you will never meet again, yet you will never forget.

At one point on the run Cut and this man ran by an aid station. Curt was on the outside and would have liked to, but couldn't grab a sip. The Frenchman grabbed a cup, took a drink, then passed it to Curt. Now that is class.

The Men's ITU race was unbelievable. I saw Simon Whitfield, Andy Potts, all of them. They were so close together not just on the bike but on the run as well. And you think an Ironman has great crowd support? That's nothing compared to the maddness over here!

It was the most exciting three days of competition. A little jump start to the car of inspiration as I am headed to IMFL. Training here has gone well, not the length I wanted it to be but the frequency is there. I feel good, I feel happy and I can't wait until the big workload is back.

Today is Monday morning and we'll be traveling by bus around Hambrug and even taking a boat tour! Tomorrow we head to Berlin then Wednesday we just hang out in Hamburg and try to find a taxi that will bring us both to the airport at 5am with 2 bike boxes.

Check back this evening for pictures from the men's ITU race, and today's adventures!

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: