Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Catching Up

The weekend of traveling and training finally hit me. Not in terms of soreness but in terms of fatigue. I noticed it this morning as I spoke with Grimm on the pool deck. I usually try to get in before he arrives because once he gets chatting I end up missing 1,000 yards. His stories are good, so I can't say that I mind. However it is my preference to get in the water with Ken, as then I can assure myself a good 1,000 yard warm up.

Today I was more inclined to listen to Grimm and Sue's adventures through New Zealand and Australia. An outdoor 50 meter salt water pool. Scenery and sunshine. I shared my experiences at Camp HTFU and still, the water looked no better.

Even with a new member of the Stud Lane. Mister Travis Earley himself.

I swam through 4300 yards and even a session of videotaping. Next to me Dr. Les admitted to not having any pizazz. Whew. I thought. When Dr. Les has no pizazz then it's okay if I don't either. Did they go to Camp HTFU???? Nope. So there, I thought.

Usually when I get videotaped I will kick my feet. I barely kick my feet when I swim. I was so tired I forgot to kick.

I took a 2 hour nap. Rode 30 minutes and headed back to the sheets.

That's how I know I performed well at camp. It's natural for me to hit the ground running after an event like this. But come Wednesday it will hit me. This time a little differently, it has hit me in sleepiness. And I must honor that.

Without recovery there is no progression. Without work there is no progression. Optimal stress + optimal recovery = optimal progress.

Contrary to popular thought a 3 week build and 1 week recovery cycle is not for everyone. It's what the Training Bible says, but it doesn't necessarily fit each person. The take away point of periodization is that we are all different athletes. Some may do well under a 3 to 1 progression. Many do well with a longer progression. That's why as coaches we track the daily parameters: sleep, sleep quality, stress, resting heart rate, fatigue, soreness, and even blood pressure. Track all of those parameters in partnership with a weekly volume and you'll find you are better able to plan periodization.

Give the athlete the proper amount of stress and they will adapt. Pay attention to the athlete's whole picture and you will then see when they need a bit of rest. At rest muscles repair. But don't forget about adaptation.

Rest for one person could be a week, another it might be 2 days. Each person, each athlete is different.

So today I am taking a bit of rest. Maybe tomorrow will be the day to jump back in, maybe Friday. Maybe longer. That's why I am honest with myself, honest with my coach, and realistic about my own progression.

The only person who really benefits or doesn't benefit.... will be me!


3 comments:

kerri said...

YES, YES, YES. Glad you are resting. One of the hardest things to explain to an athlete is that rest is just as important as the workouts. Thanks for explaining. Enjoy the recovery!

Jen in Budapest said...

Thanks for this blog. I am not training anywhere near your times but I was just thinking today, as I seem to need more and more "power naps" throughout the day =-- 20 minutes to rest and recover, that it's ok to rest and recover and I was thinking..."Am I going into the 3/1..." but as you said everyone is different. It's good to monitor the other things and figure it out. Thanks.

Travis said...

"Mr. Travis Earley himself" - haha! What are you on that makes you think that I am anyone special in the pool?

All I'm doing is trying to desperately hang on and chase down everyone else's bubbles!!! :o)

(Thanks for the shout out though!!!)