Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What If?

I don't know where these words are from. They might be a compilation from what I heard this weekend, a poem someone write that I am stealing, words that I read.... I don't know.

But what if we stopped waiting for everything to be just right ... in order to be happy?

What if we stopped waiting....

Until we had a baby.

Until our kids went to school.

Until they left for college.

Until we bought a house.

Until we paid off the house.

Until we lost 10 pounds.

Until we gained 10 pounds.

Until we bought the car.

Until we paid off the car.

Until we got married.

Until we got divorced.

Until we were 30, 35, 40, or 50.

Until we got that bike.

Until we did the Ironman.

Until we took a vacation.

Until we graduated form college.

Until we changed careers.

Until we had enough money.

Until we didn't have enough money.

Until we found our soul mate.

Until we lost our soul mate.

Until we got promoted.

Until we got fired.

Until ..... until ...... until....

What if we stopped waiting for that magical day to arrive. What if we threw all of this out, this is the story we carry around.... what if we threw this story out, put a smile on our faces and were happy today?

That's what I have done. I stopped waiting. I did it a while ago and guess what? It is awesome.

6 comments:

Pedergraham said...

Mary:
I loved this. When I was in my twenties, I wanted to hurry up and do all the things that seemed so unimportant now--prestigious job and title, etc--and thought that I would have forever to do all of the "other" things. I remember the first physcial therapy appointment I had after my back surgery (I was 29 at the time), when I heard the therapist take my husband aside and very strictly remind him that I should not get pregnant for at least 12 months as we worked on getting things to stabilize and tighten in my joints and spine...all of a sudden it hit me. Having a baby wasn't even on my radar, but all the idea that my body wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't handle it woke me up to reality! There is no guarantee of tomorrow or a better time! And, you can imagine what we were doing exactly 12 months later...

Anonymous said...

Mary,
very well stated. Thanks for the reminder - it's so easy to get swept up in it all and forget to enjoy the process and the moment.
-Ness.

Anonymous said...

Great post. What's also amazing is that once you decide to be happy, the rest comes along just fine. Funny how we get things out of order so often.

wiley said...

I believe it was the Bandanna Baron who read it to us on Saturday while we were sitting on our feet for what felt like an hour from someone who wrote the poem after attending a Baptiste yoga retreat. OOOHHHMMMM!!!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it is very important to be reminded of stuff like this, Mary! :) Jen H.

Cindy Jo said...

This is exactly why I use my good china & crystal glasses everyday!!!

Before my bike accident, I was always focused on a race while training. Now I just train and enjoy the fact that I can do it at all! Its much more fun :)