Monday, March 3, 2008

It's A Wrap.... Camp HTFU

Greetings from somewhere above the East Coast, at 30,000 feet! As I am on my way home from Camp HTFU I have been reflecting a bit on a terrific weekend. Terrific for so many ways.

Each of us came to South Carolina for different reasons. We all found different things. Some found strength, some found guts, but I believe we all found a common friendship that is not just shared through internet blogs. I think we all found something within each other that we got to take home with us as well.

I am taking home the memories of five wonderful girls who gave me so much this weekend. So much more than miles and pain. I was amazed at each person I was so fortunate to spend time with, and I think we all came away with wonderful views of one another.

Marit. Marit is quite possibly the hardest worker I have ever met in my life. She gives 800% of each and every session. And then she gives 900% when we are off the field. Only Marit, on a 200000% climb would sit behind me and cheer me on. So what if I believed at the time she was smoking crack? That was just a moment in my own head. I took her positive vibes and I allowed them to carry me. She's genuine. She's passionate. Like I said before keep your eyes out…. this girl is coming down that finisher's chute with a damn purpose.

Jennifer claims to have wanted to be a prosecutor. I disagree with that, as that would have involved being cruel and Jennifer isn't about that. If I had to choose another profession I'd choose a Corporal in the Army. Not because she's strict and hard on her athletes, she knows how to push them to be the best they can be. She calls them out when they are not being honest with themselves and she helps them find their own purpose.

Ashley likes to claim she's Greenville's most eligible bachelorette. While that may be true you'd better be quick and fast to keep up with her. She climbs right up with the rest of the gang, and she's aligned herself with the most beautiful people of South Carolina. She's got a genuineness that is crystal clear. Not only is she quick and genuine, she's damn smart too. Ashley was our hostess with the most-est and I can' thank her enough for so graciously allowing us to invade her home.

Elizabeth reminds me of Lisa Bentley when she was 30 years old. Small, full of heart, and athlete with passion and with purpose. Her mind and her heart drive her past any obstacle her body tries to throw in her way. At the same time she offers great mental nuggets when needed. As I was having difficulties descending she instructed me to "become the bike". I did just that and suddenly the world got a lot better.

Leslie is by far the world's perkiest triathlete. She's bouncy, light, and happy and at the same time she's fierce. I had the absolute honor of spending 2 hours on trails with her this Sunday and I couldn’t' have asked for a better trail running partner. Afraid of nothing, accepting everything. At the same time she reminded me to stop and look around at the beautiful mountain we were running on.

How would I describe myself? Elizabeth gave me the Good Egg and Wall Flower award. So much of my life has been filled with drama; it was like I had finally arrived when I was deemed a wall flower. She'll never know how much I appreciated that. As the slowest girl in the group (and I do say that with absolute respect for myself, I promise you that. I just don't have a good word to say slowest girl with… how about rock star? ) The rock star worked very hard. Judging by my soreness I am not sure I worked hard enough.

I did work hard enough to get in some great training. I got to climb mountains that make Lake Placid seem flat. I got to work on my descending skills while there was snow on the ground in New York. After those descents I suddenly feel unafraid of the descents in Placid. I got to swim long course meters. I got to run on a gorgeous mountain.

I got to share beautiful moments with beautiful friends. I got to learn a lot about each person. Those moments usually happened as we drove around in "Big Momma", the team HTFU van.

I got to encounter the kindest people of Greenville. Those who would help someone they don't know. Those who would hang back and help the rock star.

As I am making my way up the east coast I am smiling. I feel good inside and I feel great outside. The 1 mile sprint that I just made through the Atlanta airport (wish I had the Garmin on for that) didn't hurt so much.

Which makes me think…. while I HTFU'd a lot, I have more room to HTFU. That's an exciting place to be for a rock star like myself.

Thanks to all of you for your kindest words. Thanks to all my team mates for accepting a rock star on this trip, and for honoring me with your strength, your wisdom and your miles
.

4 comments:

BreeWee said...

You are so cool. I mean that sincerely, not my usual sarcasm... I have nothing else to say...

Pedergraham said...

Mary:
I was thinking about those SC descents and hoping that would be great training for the hills into Keene this summer.

I am so excited to cheer for you at IMLP this year.

Have a good week back in Winter. (Spring IS just 'round the corner.)
-Danielle

Beth said...

Glad it was such an awesome experience for you Mary (on many different levels)! And I agree with Bree. You really are amazing! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you girls had an amazing adventure and memories to last you a life time. Your journey with these wonderful ladies are just starting...ENJOY!