Saturday, May 16, 2009

commencement

"Find something to do." The commencement speaker told us all. "Find someone to do it with."

I looked over at the other side of the auditorium, my parents, my son....... my husband....... and I thought about how lucky I am. To do the things I love with the people I love. As I looked before me to the graduates who were just beginning their careers I wanted to tell them to listen to this man.

"Be passionate about what you do." He said.

That right there is your biggest life lesson kids. That right there.

As I walked across the stage yesterday in a beautiful theatre as a graduate of the University of Rochester (a school I could never before but am given the incredible tuition benefits .... FREE...... given as a reward for being a Nurse there........) I had to laugh.

When I graduated in 1999 from Nursing School, that morning we were racing in Muskoka, five hours north of here. Curt qualified for Hawaii and if we stayed for rolldown I would have missed graduation. So I hitched a ride with our friend Stu back to Buffalo and hung out in the grass in my bike shorts and sports bra until my Mom brought me a dress.

Yesterday wasn't much different! 4am run...... 6am teaching yoga...... 7:30 home...... 8:15 Luc to school....... 9:15 yoga ....... 10:45 pick up Luc...... 11:15 meet family at restaurant.... then as I was in the bathroom at the restaurant I realized I had forgotten my bra. My back up..... sweaty sports bra and yoga clothes.

Luckily Walgreens was right down the street, I flew in there hoping they'd have some, and bought the cheapest bra of my life, and mighty uncomfortable too! And as we were checking out Luc told the checkout girl "My mom is graduating and she forgot her lung holder."

11:30...... Eating with my family.

I looked down at my feet. Danskos. I wear these babies all the time. I have four pairs. Crocs? Hell no. These shoes will keep your feet healthy. PROMISED. I wear nothing else. Today's [air happened to be blue suede.

Stylish.

As we arrived at Graduation I found my friends.... I forgot bobypins, a hairbrush (like I even OWN one), how does this hood thing go????? And my shoes were a hit.

All the silliness aside, I was proud to walk across that stage. As I came down the stairs with my diploma my son was jumping up and down waiting for hug. Today wasn't really about me graduating, it was for him to see. I knew how important it was for him to see this. He thought it was the neatest thing ever.

I sat back down in my chair and I felt a little bit teary, somewhat emotional. It's been a long road for me, through these small achievements. I have never been the smart girl in class. I have had to work hard for a C all my life. When I was told my GPA at the University of Rochester was 3.7, I thought I would have another heart attack.

I have three more years until my Masters Degree and until I go to the ocean. That's the plan. I have found something to do in my life. I found what I am passionate about in my life. And I have been absolutely blessed that I have found someone to do it with. In fact, I have been incredibly blessed that I have found many people to do it with.
(Head out of the gutter RYAN!)

2 comments:

BreeWee said...

Love it! Those comments from the speaker are SO TRUE! I have always been so afraid not to believe people that I actually used to listen so hard to all the speakers that came to my schools and even during graduation...

Good job playing mom and wife of the year too, your schedule is totally insane, 4am wake up? Phewww, thought I was good at 5am, you are amazing!

Cheers to a GREAT 3 more years, and I will see ya at the Ocean with a bikini waiting for you! ha ha...

Take Care!
Bree

Marit C-L said...

Congratulations Mary! You are amazing!!! :)