Tuesday, December 2, 2008

just the right amount

People incorrectly assume that I am the busiest woman on earth. But really.... I am not. The downtime far outweighs the on time, and that's the way I like it. Sure it sounds busy: Mom, Wife, Pediatric Emergency Nurse, Coach, Yoga Teacher, Student, Intern, athlete. It is a lot, but all together it adds up to forty hours a week. I just do a lot of things in small pieces.

It means I work a lot form home, I am home every night but one. I am home when Luc gets off the bus. I am home to put him to bed. Because really, home is where the heart is. Home is where the family is and home should be our haven. It certainly is mine.

That's why we actually do have time for the work that a puppy entails. I have to smile and laugh when my friend tells me to expect my dog to be a second child. I have actually had a child..... and this one can pee outside..... but will pee inside....... she will chew the living daylights out of something I love.

But I am not one to sweat the small stuff. I also have the good fortune to have a friend who is a lab expert, and she's showing me the way. Without her I would truly be lost, so thanks Wendy! And just like we are fumbling our way through parenthood..... we will fumble our way through dog parenthood. We are not control freaks like this one couple we have seen who are so control freakish co dependant that it is frightening. Eeks. Life doesn't have to be that way. Life can be so much more fun.

Things happen. We roll with those punches and we ride the waves. I am so glad we get to do it together. That's how it goes in our home..... togetherness is priority.

Someone is always home at our house, so being home for Cocoa isn't going to be a problem.

I think you just have to find a way to carve out your life so everything can happen. It took us a while to find the balance but we've found a wonderful balance. It's nights like tonight I love the best, me finishing a PowerPoint presentation while Luc and Curt build a Lego set at the same table. As I create slides I watch them laugh, bond, build, create. I smile as I feel the warmth they bring to my life each and every single day.

Sure things are busy, but I just don't let it get to me. Everything I do I have a passion for. It is a blessing really.

Training these days is going well. Just nice and steady and looks like this weekend I can head out for my first 5K running test. It is certain to hurt, it is certain to hurt a lot, but we have to have a starting point. It will establish paces and zones and then we will really begin. Bike testing is next week and then we are fully underway.

4 comments:

wiley said...

Cocoa will be one lucky puppy!!!

Amy Beth Kloner said...

whoa! you got a puppy?! i missed the memo!! post pictures!! puppies are the eternal toddlers. so happy for you!!! ;)

Damie said...

yea! I know you will be a great puppy mommy. And, I always like the philosophy of not sweating the small stuff. Of course you will lose some things you like to a curious pup's teeth, but it is soooo worth the love you get in exchange for "things".

Damie said...

ha ha! and good luck on that 5k..I did my dern 5k test to get some training paces last weekend. although it sucked, I was thinking today how quickly the memory of a 5k passes. go get 'em~