Tuesday, December 30, 2008

yoga tools

One of the many things I do is teach yoga. I am currently working towards my Level II Baptiste Power Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Certification. It's a several year process and this is a career I take pretty seriously. As I work towards my masters in Nursing ... in 2 years I hope to blend all of the things I do into one. By the summer I will also be offering Yoga Therapy Classes at our studio.

I teach at a Baptiste Affiliate Studio called Breathe. Located right in downtown Pittsford NY it's not just a studio, but a boutique and a juice bar, and a spa. Everything good, organic and local under one roof. And that's before our upcoming expansion!!!!!

What attracted me to this style of yoga was that it is more of a "freestyle" yoga. It's all about flow and it's hot. Not Bikram which is 112 degrees, we keep our studio about 85-90 degrees. It's perfect for athletes and flexible people alike!

As many of you are beginning to embrace yoga, I thought I would pass along a few tips and recommendations for yoga gear. It's like triathlon, the good stuff might cost a little more, but it is worth it. And it's a one time purchase.

Here is what is in my yoga bag:

Maha Mat: I got this mat a few years ago and I will never go back. I never slip on it. To clean a mat use diluted Simple Green, there are yoga mat wipes available, or you can throw it in the washing machine without detergent. Mats typically come with a "film" on them, especially the ones you find at Target. So make sure you get rid of that. You mat will make or break your practice.

YogiToes Skidless Mat: These are great for those who slide off the mat in hot classes due to sweat. I have a few of these and I tend to use them less and less due to the acclimation I have from spending four years in a heated room. These are wonderful, wash before using and sprinkle some water on the hands and feet part to help with stick. One the link you will also see an Eco Dot, which is my next favorite.

Eco Dot: This funny little thing serves me a few purposes. If I use it in a pose like Balancing Half Moon, it allows me to stay moving and doesn't allow me to really rest my bottom hand on the floor. I like to use this for seated meditation also.

Lululemon: Worth it's weight in GOLD. Worth the price. I have an entire Armoire FULL of Lululemon. We carry this at our Studio, in fact we carry all of these products at our studio and you might want to check out the Breathe Tees that we sell. You might have spotted our ad in Yoga Journal too!

Just like in multisport your yoga gear can make or break your class. You might become so focused on slipping that you can't allow yourself to relax and fully enjoy the experience.

3 comments:

Trigirlpink said...

I wish I could come take one of your classes! I've only done Bikram. Those are neat-o tools. Whatz Lululemon? Must be clothing.... hummmmm The link doesn't work. I'll go do a google search!!
Happy New Year!!

wiley said...

Elaine-Lululemon is the most wonderful bit of stretchy sexy spandex ever!Pants flatter the bottom and the tops are the kinds of tops once you try them on you are in a tizzy as to which color and style to choose. Most have a pocket for ipod and are great for running. One of my darkest addictions!!!!TROUBLE!
The very best yoga tool in my humble opinion is finding a yoga teacher and studio that encourages and inspires you to grow and learn as you continue to find the new ultimate edge in a safe way. Those of us that practice at Breathe are so lucky to have Mary guiding us in our practice. It is heaven and hell! She is one heck of a yogi!!!!

Anonymous said...

If only Lulu could lower her prices for I cannot afford her. Maybe someday. For now ill just relish in coming to breathe even in my NON lulu clothes and still being accepted:) I do however think I should adopt a puppy and name her LuLu Lemon LOL
Mary you rock, cant say it enough!
Love Amanda