Friday, December 12, 2008

my Christmas wish

My Christmas wish is that we all hug one another a little closer and a little tighter this year. If nothing else I have learned just how important it is to hold one another close. If nothing else I have learned that there is no place form hidden meaning and innuendo, but every place for absolute truth. If nothing else I have learned that love is stronger than anything else. If nothing else I have learned just how much I love each and every single one of you.

I think that we are all a work in progress. I think that we all have the potential to live from a place of truth. And I know that living from a place of truth is actually easier than hiding behind a wall and running away. I know that I am not afraid that my intentions will be misinterpreted, I am not afraid of giving the feeling of love to anyone and I am not afraid of crossing boundaries. Boundaries are false lines we set up around ourselves to prevent us from pain. Pain is part of life.

I believe in the power of love. I believe that love ultimately heals. I believe that healing takes time and there are times healing is more painful than the painful event itself.

I believe that good will triumph over evil in the end. Be it in the war in the Middle East, or the wars that we battle here at home. In person, spirit and in society. Against illness, against evil..... good will be the winner in the end. We all won't get to that finish line intact but one thing is for sure.... if we go down fighting, if we go down with our head high and our heart in our sleeve ... the legacy will be a legacy of love, goodness and truth.... and that will eventually be the victor whether we are able to actually stand on that podium or not.

I know that in my heart I will win the battle that I continue to fight. I know that it has taken a bulldozer running over me more times than I want to admit to get me to stop and look around. I know that my finish line remains a moving target and I know that this experience is my own opportunity to move mountains in this world. I know that I have the choice to lie down and fight, or swim with sharks and feel every ounce of life as it presents itself. I might not choose the easiest road all of the time, but I always choose the richest.

I know that I do my best to practice what I preach and I appreciate the people in my life who take the time to call me on my hypocrisies. We know that our critics are those who love us the most. The worst place to be is in a place where no one cares to call you on yourself.

I will continue to put one foot in front of the other and I promise to let you know when I need to be carried as long as you promise that you will let me know when you need to be carried.

I will never run away from you..... even though you might run away from me.
I wish for all of us this year to live. To really live. Live at times without regard to time or place but live from that core place inside of us that guides us and teaches us and connects us together.

I promised you I would always be here no matter how high that wall was built. And I will keep that promise no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT.

My Christmas wish for all of us as I said before..... is to draw each other a little closer, hug one another a little tighter and live this life together, not separately. As I stood in the midst of chaos tonight, lives hanging in the balance including that of my dearest friend….. it was if nothing else a reminder.

A reminder that we are all human. A reminder that as humans we possess both the good and the bad. None of us are perfect. The worst place to be is in the position where no one tells you when you are screwing up. As I said before we know, we have learned that those who criticize you the most are the ones who love you the most. If nobody did….. it would mean nobody cared.

As I came home tonight I was lucky. First of all I was lucky to go home. Second I have a place to call a home, not just as a physical house but a family to come home to. Third….. right at this moment my family has the greatest gift we will all ever be given. Health. We have not always had that gift here, so you'd better believe we sink our feet into the sand and feel its warmth when we do.

This Christmas I say to every person that I know …. that I love you. Whether you are my friend or not, I still love you. Ultimately today is really all we have, and love is the most powerful gift in the world. If we have no love…… then we have nothing.

This Christmas I want us to hold one another a little bit tighter, feel a little bit deeper, meet ourselves where we are…… and continue to have hope…… that good will be the victor.


This Christmas I thank all of you...... every single one of you.... from the kindest to the most evil..... for the presence you have in my life. You will never understand that the lessons I learn, I learn from you. Thank you for that.

3 comments:

wiley said...

Light of the world, shine on me
Love is the answer
Shine on us all, set us free
Love is the answer

Who knows why
Someday we all must die
Were all homeless boys and girls
And we are never heard
Its such a lonely world
People turn their heads and walk on by
Tell me, is it worth just another try?

Tell me, are we alive, or just a dying planet?
What are the chances?
Ask the man in your heart for the answers

And when you feel afraid, love one another
When youve lost your way, love one another
When youre all alone, love one another
When youre far from home, love one another
When youre down and out, love one another
All your hopes run out, love one another
When you need a friend, love one another
When youre near the end, love one another
We got to love one another

Courtesy of Todd Rundgren and Utopia

Ryan said...

sniff sniff "weeping"

aww shucks Mary....

I love you too.


I really love Curt a little more because we both have sub 10 hr finish times...

Sorry, I can be a ass sometimes ;)

Oh, Melissa says you still haven't called her :-0

Cy said...

Great Post Mary. What a wonderful Christmas wish.

The Power of Love is easily understood by those so fortunate to have it.

Hugs!