Monday, March 2, 2009

70.3 is not half of 140.6

(statements like that make it easy to see why I make the big bucks)

That's why they try to stop calling it a Half Ironman. It might be half the distance but it is its own entity..... entirely. As I evolve through the journey of coaching myself I am understanding that, and actually beginning to practice that.

A Half Ironman / 70.3 race in my opinion can be used as one of the building blocks to an Ironman. I use it as such, you use it as such. More often than not in my schedule I have used 70.3 races on my way to Ironman races.

Now here is a great big secret......... get close and quiet down....... The Ironman is not very healthy for Mary Eggers. I know..... this is a shocker.

I am good for 2 consecutive Ironmans. 2002. 2003. 2007. 2008...... I likely didn't even belong on that starting line. I get obsessive and I get compulsive. Distance is crack to me and I don't know when to stop. I want more, longer, I want to push that edge. I want to live in the oblivion of "I just put in a 8 hour training day" glory / bonk / feeling wasted.I love to feel wasted.

There I confessed it. It means i worked hard and I worked long. 2009 hold no Ironman for Mary Eggers. Neither will 2010 and most likely 2011.

I embarked on a 2 hour long run this morning and I had a few themes to run with today. In our preparation for Austin Coach T had me run nothing over 90 minutes. "I know you can run long" he said. "I want to see you run fast." (this was pre bike crash).

It may have taken a few months but this morning I got the meaning of that statement. Sometimes I am slow. Did I mention that head injury? So why was i out here running 2 hours at E pace with a few t pace intervals thrown in? What is that going to do for me? Really?

So mid run I made a change. 10 miles. the last 3 miles at M pace. That's the pace I am looking to hold in N'Orleans so why the heck am I not running it?

But my hours will be cut down..... I'm not going to make 15 hours!!!!!!! But! I replied to myself..... you've done 3 quality runs, and on the bike a sweet spot and an embedded long ride......

THIS IS 70.3 MARY.......... NOT THE IRONMAN

That is very hard for me to let go as an athlete...... but not as a coach. Moving into the coaching corner...... there is some debate on whether the 70.3 races are beneficial to an Ironman build. Some say yes, some say no..... I always find that middle ground.

It depends. What is your motivation for competing in a 70.3 race prior to an Ironman? If your motivation is a giant PR...... then I am going to say forget it and let's get in training. If your goal is to use a 70.3 race as a building block to Ironman, a chance to practice some nutrition (nutrition is less than a full too, but that's another day)...... and most importantly to enjoy the experience...... I say let's do it.

Let's use 2 of my athletes as examples. Kim, and Sarah. Kim is prepping for her first IM. Sharah has done 3 (recently PR'd at IMAZ with an 11:12.)

Kim and Sarah are heading to Florida 70.3 in May. Sarah is not doing an Ironman. Kim is doing Lake Placid. These 2 will have trained very differently for the same race. Their goals will be very different.

Sarah will have put in a boatload of quality work.. Kim will have put in more distance and less intervals.

For Kim I am looking at how she felt, held together, how her nutrition played a factor.

For Sarah I am looking to see if she sees her maker out there. finds her edge.

I don't want Kim to vomit at the finish line. She's got work to do and 2 camps after that to get through.

Sarah ..... I want her lungs to be on the ground. She has time to recover before a Musselman build.

See what I am getting at? Funny how I am coaching these 2 very differently..... but when it comes to me.... I have to keep stepping back to step forward. It's hard to be objective but I have been at this so long it's almost hard not to be.

New Orleans doesn't give a Rats A** that I can run X hours at E pace. Been there and done that a whole bunch of times. If I am going to take aim..... if I am aiming for my 4:45 in Clearwater in November..... I had better stop acting like I am getting ready for the Ironman and start getting ready to see that wizard. NOW.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wait...... you were running tempos and asked what the point of that was???? How many freaking times did you yell at me to not hold the pace I wanted! Yeah I'm saving this blog post for when I return :)