Monday, March 30, 2009

heading to the Big Easy

As I always say on race week..... too much time has suddenly become too little time. Despite my taking vacation time this week.... I have 2 classes, but they are fun classes. I don't have to be on my feet all day and I have plenty of time to prepare.

As I am creating my taper I began with a very easy swim today. 45 minutes at Masters, just Kelly, Travis and myself in the lane, no pressure to be hammering. Got in late and got out early. On Wednesday I will take every distance and cut it down to increase the effort, and increase the rest. And bring the camera to do some underwater videotaping.

Ahhhh, taper. I am always amazed at so many athlete's willingness to prepare, willingness to work hard.... yet their lack of willingness to taper for an event, therefore blowing it all to hell.
I am tapering and I am not even in top form yet. I have my B+ game, and still I am going to taper (Clearwater is 6+ months away and to that race ....I will bring my A+ game.).

In taper you decrease your volume and keep just enough intensity to keep the muscles firing. You resist the temptation to win the practice, win the workouts..... you save it for Sunday. Because I can pretty much guarantee that on Sunday it won't matter whether I touched the wall before John in practice on Monday.

Your nutrition becomes paramount. Everything that goes in your body must be quality, and less volume, or else risk the race week race gain. Hydration is the essence of the day, and keeping your head clear and free.

I am ready to go and tune things up. Get some good vitamin D. I can't wait to feel the lunge of the airplane, the sound of the cannon, and the roar of my race wheels. The feel of the brackish water and the sun.

I can't wait to grab a Dixie cup of water and toss it over my head. Smile and laugh and go as hard as I can.

In April.

YEAH..... IN APRIL!!!!

Safe travels to all of my friends who are heading to Oceanside and to New Orleans. May the wind be at your back.............

2 comments:

wiley said...

Wishing you a great race and a wonderful trip. Breathe it all in Sweetie! Sending you my best karma from the mat!

rr said...

GO MARY!! I hope you have such a fun day in NO :) I'll be cheering for you from So Cal.