Saturday, March 21, 2009

almost

On Monday I ship my bike.

The thought of that made me giddy, put butterflies in my stomach. I'm not in peak shape but my goal big smashing A race is not till November. This race.... it's to celebrate.

What am I celebrating?

Health. My health. It's the first race since May that I have arrived at the starting line 100% healthy (knock on wood I still have 15 days to get there). I am not injured, not sore. I am not overtrained.

And the best part? I am going somewhere warm, somewhere I have never been to, and I get to swim with sharks again.

Honestly this is the earliest I have ever raced. April? April. But I need it. I have been doing my work, I have been listening to my body, and I am ready. Not vomit in my mouth ready, but ready for a practice session. A practice race.

I am ready to feel the sun on my back. I am ready to smell and taste the brackish water of the Lake. I am ready to stand in a crowd of people and look around as we await the gun. I am ready to feel my heart leap as I dive into the water. I am ready to feel the fatigue as I pedal and the feeling of wobble as I run off the bike. To taste powergels and dump water over my head. I am ready to make my way to a finish line.

I can't wait to sit on a plane next to Mister Businessman on that early flight. He in his suit and me wrapped in a dream. The dream of what can I accomplish this season?

There is so much to do and this time around rather than it feeling like a chore it feels like I am heading for vacation. Race belt, Splish Suit, Wetsuit, don't forget the goggles. And the run shoes, don't forget to put on the lace locks!!!!!

And my USAT card, don't forget that!

And helmet.

The list making has begun because on Monday I will be bringing the bike to the UPS store. The next time I will see her is at Bike Check in. Over a week away. Until then I will be riding an old friend, my little blue. Little blue and I have been around the block. We've had some really great times. All of my big wins have been on little blue and it's big 54 red front chain ring. Just because it was fun.

So we are almost there. One more week to go until I can shut it down and put up my feet. The aim for New Orleans is a healthy, smooth and steady race.

Because we are saving the best for last.

3 comments:

Marit C-L said...

LOVE IT!!!! Amen Mary! Um - yeah, I feel EXACTLY the same. And thanks for the lace locks... I knew I was forgetting something ;)

Colleen S said...

Wahoo..... I'm so excited for the start of your season ;) I'll be sending good vibes your way. cheers to the start of a great season!

Laura said...

Fun! Enjoy New Orleans and cheer for Joy and Nancy for me! (They both did FL.)