Friday, March 20, 2009

shmorgasboard (however you spell it)

Check back on Saturday for some great video from this week's Trainer Tuesday! Next week we will focus on some hills. On the trainer? On the trainer kids. Join us at 6:30 pm, free workout, free food, free fun.

The temptation was great. Ironman Utah was announced the other day and there were a few things that saved me. Timing: unless i want to go even more out of my mind...... an Ironman in May means 100 mile computrainer rides + Grad School Year one = admission to the "R Wing" (which if you are from Rochester means the psych ward.)

Yet my heart still tugs. It knows I love the Ironman, but I have to be logistical on this decision. I will be sticking to the 70.3 distance for a few years.... unless I want to repeat a semester of grad school. If I don't do an Ironman and graduate on time, that means moving somewhere south sooner is a massive possibility. Moving to an island..... oh somewhere in the Pacific..... remains an even greater possibility.

I won't give opportunity up for an Ironman. But when Marit and Ryan signed up I had to walk away.

The Ironman is like CRACK to me.

In other news my little guy has been home for a week and thriving. Next week he will receive a home tutor while I take a look at other schools. Yes, it's been a little overwhelming but I have taken advantage of help being offered to me in the form of family and friends.

That was the hard part, accepting help. But I can't do everything. Between working as Pediatric ER Nurse, yoga teacher, triathlon coach I put in a good 40 hour work week. I am also a student, which means paper writing. Now I am a home schooling Mom and oh yes, a triathlete. With all that on my plate I am managing a good 15 hour training week. And I am getting enough sleep.

As I look at how my son had recovered from a terrible situation he was in at his school.... I know it was all worth it. Nothing in the world trumps the health of your child whether it is physical or emotional.

The further away we get from that day where everything went really bad, I have spoken to many parents..... and it is becoming very evident that this was a dangerous emotional place for my son from the beginning. How he must have felt walking into a situation where he was destined to fail..... what does that do to you as a child?

I believe that his teachers believed they were intervening in the right way..... with all they had to deal with in terms of the student population I don't know how they kept their own heads on straight. When you spend 3/4 of a day putting out fires instead of learning..... then when does learning take place?

The good news is we will be provided with a home tutor beginning next week. The good news is that Luc has accomplished more in the week I have been home schooling him than he has in months. He's smiling, he's laughing, his outbursts so well documented at school?

Gone.

His interaction with his buddies at Cub Scouts and his friends?

No problems whatsoever.

It makes me understand how we become a product of our environment. Put someone into chaos and they become chaos.

Again nothing on earth trumps the health of your child. The horror is when you in retrospect realize what your child has actually gone through without your knowledge. No one was hurting him, no one was abusing him..... but the situation he is in in the system that exists...... makes me cry.

He's safe now. He's home. He's learning again. I am visiting four new schools next week in a search to find better placement. Our school district has people who even help you do that.

We continue to roll along here on the east coast. The trees are wiggling their toes, I got to ride outside with Kelly B the other day and was so delighted with where my fitness is at. There is a dusting of snow on the ground today but Sunday for big huge brick day, the sun has promised to come out and shine.

I can't freaking wait.

6 comments:

Marit C-L said...

Oh Mary - I'm sorry about the situation with schools and such. Luc is great - absolutely fantastic. And you're totally spot on: put ANYONE is chaos and see how they react. There has to be SOMETHING, and I hope that these educators realize that sooner rather than later. Give the little guy a hug for me - will ya?

As for the ironman. Well - If its one thing I've learned after this past year, is that you have to do what makes YOU happy - no one else. And I don't think that pressuring a friend (who could very well go sub 10:45 ;) is a very nice thing. Even though Ryan promises to put on a good show...

Seriously - you do what's right for YOU! Ironman will always be there. And when you've got everything sorted out the way you want, I know you'll be back. Until then - enjoy the 70.3 training! I LOVE that as well! :)

Damie said...

Mary, I must have missed some posts...what happened with Luc? I am so glad you are there for him- that you recognize these things and support him. hugs and kisses, mom:)

Go Mom Go said...

Mary,
What a terrific Mom you are! I have to agree with the chaos bit, my son (the second grader) actually worries about his teacher because he knows how crazy the class is. It is sad really.

Great job!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Mary, I missed something too - I had no idea you were HS Luc....I am sorry I missed that and he had to go thru that and now you are struggling w/ the schools! ah. Luc is such a good boy...he will thrive anywhere you feel comfortable with. Good luck!

BreeWee said...

Nice timing for this post... no way am I happy you are enduring all this full load, but it is giving me strength... today was totally "one of those days" where you just feel like it is SO much, then I read this and your positivity through it, even how you asked about Brooke a couple weeks ago, just shows you can get it allllllll done with some hard work and an eagerness... thanks Mary!!

Anonymous said...

I think you are an amazing dedicated mom Mary, never stop following your heart and gut when it comes to Luc, you can do no wrong. I am so sorry for any of the painful situations he has been in but know that brighter days are to come.
hugs
Amanda MT