Friday, March 16, 2007

Preview

We've had a taste of spring here in the Northeast. A dip in the warm ocean, a sprinkle of sunshine on our backs. I opened my eyes, looked to the sun and I smiled. I knew it wasn't here to stay, I knew it would not stay long. But while it was here I drew it in, I soaked it up and again, I smiled.

It's a taste of the good things to come. A light at the end of the tunnel.

As we dip back into the not so frigid temperatures of winter again this weekend, we dip back into it with hope. The snow will fall but at thirty degrees the end is looming. The sun is ready and there is grass that is ready to grow, flowers that are ready to bloom.

I spread my wings this week and I allowed myself to fly. I also held onto the reigns and pulled things back in as they needed to be. That's the fine line we walk, a dip over the edge and then a step back. A little more rest and a little more work.

A few more weeks of base and then a test session in Florida. Between now and then a few cruise interval runs, hill work, but lots of base miles to solidify this foundation. What's hidden underneath? I am not even sure. But I will shine on the day I need to shine on. At the distance I have dreamt of returning to.

Until then I will hold back, I will hold hope and I will continue to move forward. There is a reason for each of the seasons we travel through. A reason for winter, a reason for spring and a reason for the summertime. And then comes fall when the earth prepares to enter the next cycle.

And so it is with many things in our lives, we follow cycles. One builds into another, one prepares us for the next. We must hold hope that the sun will again shine. Because it will.

Until then, we bundle up, slide on our fuzzy hats, and we allow ourselves to be patient.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: