Monday, March 26, 2007

Spirit

Some in the triathlon circles around here are hearing that I have become a gadget nut, and that makes me smile. A few have even written to me in horror, as a girl of spirit how could I have gone to the dark side? Mary you are not having fun......... I am told quite angrily......

I appreciate the worry, because it means they care. That's heartwarming, I am luckily to be surrounded by people who do care.

But fear not, my spirit has done nothing but strengthened. All the gadgets in the world can not take from me the joy, happiness and the feeling of being connected to life's energy like my spirit does.

Part of taking on the gadgets..... is taking on the gadget stress. But you eliminate that stress by taking it all one step at a time. One week the goal might be to hook it up. The next the goal might be to successfully download it. And maybe on race day it all fails..... that's when the true test is told. So if it all fails and I am left with me, myself and I... well that's just darn fine.

I had to make a decision last week regarding Eagleman. In the end it was an easy decision.

Yoga and triathlon are the yin and the yang of my life. As you know I am currently deep within the training of Baptiste Power Vinyaysa. We practice in 90 degree heat, do more push ups than anyone, and we flow...... it is an amazing physical practice not meant to punish but to free the body and in turn the mind.

There are two levels to the Baptiste Vinyasa Teacher Training program, level I and level II. These must be done together within 2 years. I attended my Level I in 2006 in Hawaii. I had planned on attended my level II in Sept in Montana.

However my husband has set his sights on the world championship in Germany, which runs from Aug 28- Sept 4th. My training begins on Sept 1st. I checked into the training schedule and there is one other level II in 2007. June 9-16th in Montana. Eagleman is June 10th.

It was an easy decision. Of course I would pull out of Eagleman, and go to the training in Montana. When again will I have the opportunity to bike in Germany with my husband and cheer him on?

My chance to shine will be at Ironman Lake Placid and Ironman Florida. I get to go to Panama City in May to test the waters. While Eagleman is one of my favorite races, it will be there again.

In Montana I will practice yoga four hours a day. But for a week, deep in the mountains the days will be so long and full that I will not swim, nor bike nor run. Not for 7 days.

Does that worry me?

Not in the least. I view it as a vital part of the Ironman training. I will come back from Montana focused, cleared out, and renewed. And very tied. If you've ever thought yoga was easy and light, then you practice hatha, not power vinyaysa. (there is something out there for everyone).

Yoga has an unbelievable way of pulling me together, and that in turn makes me stronger.

So Germany wins. A European vacation, a chance to cheer on Curt, to get away, to ride my bike, to visit with my Parisian sister, Amos. It is a gift and the chance of a lifetime.

So see guys, I am not all about wattage and cadence and heart rate.

But if my coffee mug had a USB port....... it truly would be heaven.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: