Monday, March 12, 2007

Run Like the Wind

"Run like the wind" my friend Jen wrote to me today. I admitted my fear to her. I have been afraid to run my cruise intervals because I am afraid my Achilles Tendon is going to snap. However there is no pain, no soreness nor any indication that something like that would happen.

It is fear. And it is me being in the way of my own self.

With 44 miles of running scheduled this week and Gulf Coast 1/2 Ironman in 8 weeks, I know I can not procrastinate any longer. I am running hills. I am running steady. I am running tempo. The cruise intervals can not be pushed off any longer. They have to take place on Wednesday.

I will run like the wind.

I think that I found heaven today, at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Just 5 miles form my home, RIT is where I am now an adjunct faculty.... teaching Spinning. The group of kids this morning were terrific. They had great form, they wanted to be there. I am so honored they are taking the class this quarter.

It gives me the opportunity to get in a nice 90 minute ride with music and people and just let loose.

RIT also has the most beautiful pool in the world. I swim 2 X 90 minute practices with the RAMS, and I have been swimming a third 60 minute swim on my own at the Y. The hot crowded pool was just fine, and then here I was at RIT. Full use of the incredible facilities. And here was the pool.

So for 4000 yards I was in comfortable space, splitting a lane, and swimming long, swimming steady. It was heaven on earth as far as pools go. And through my life I have been in many chlorinated environments.

So cheers to another great training week. And thanks Jen for my mantra on Wednesday.

Run like the wind........

:-) Mary Eggers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so how did the cruise intervals go, Mary!? I am SURE you were floating on air!
Jen Harrison