Saturday, June 16, 2007

Anything is possible with a HO HO

Anything is possible. That's the big theme of the Ironman. But in my case what it should say is that Anything weird can happen.

It started on Tuesday as one of my athletes and friends.... Bill, and I were out aiming for a four hour ride. I decided to enlighten Bill and show him that route 64 didn't end at 5&20 but in fact wound all the way down through the amazing town of Naples. Since his wonderful girlfriend and Musselman trainee was such an amazing support for us at Eagleman, I let him in on the secret of the Brown Hound Bistro.

"Take her there." I instructed him.

About half way to Naples is a gas station, it is my favorite gas station on earth. Rather than the traditional gas station appearance, this one looks like a big wooden house. With so many friendly faces it feels like home inside. As I have made this a regular stop on my route this season I have gotten to know then many wonderful people who work there. I have also gotten to know some of the town folk. Nothing sparks a conversation quicker than "How far y'ridin t'day?"

As usual we make the stop, I head into the bathroom, buy some water and have my typical conversation with the woman behind the counter. I walk back outside and see the Wonder Bread delivery man. I have seen him a few times before and he is real nice.

This morning he was so darn nice that he grabbed a box of Ho Ho's out of his truck and handed them to me! With a statement to the effect that I deserved some Ho Ho's, he was off. We stood there for a moment wondering what to do with this newly aquired treasure. So I did what any normal triathlete would do, I shoved the box into the back pocket of my jersey.

The rest of the ride I rode with a box of Ho Hos protruding from my back pocket but when we got home I was a hero!

So remember... anything is possible. Not just in training but in life as well. I mean how often has someone handed you a box of Ho Ho's?

No comments: