Friday, June 22, 2007

Summertime

On the run course in Lake Placid

Welcome to day one of summertime, where the days are long, sunny and are planned to be nothing but fun at the Eggers' home.

Luc bounded off the bus at 2:10pm yesterday afternoon arms open wide throwing his backpack, ready to play. We made a family decision to forgo the traditional summer camp, and to instead hang at home, at the beach, ride our bikes and take the opportunity... to be home.

Thank you to Curt for allowing that opportunity to exist.

Sure the training now gets done at an early hour, but through those early hours there is serenity in silence. Thrill of spotting the thousands of deer cross my path, and the smell of summertime looming.

My third Ironman is just 5 weeks away. Through this second to last build week I am feeling very good. I executed a 21 mile run on Wednesday in 3 hours and 8 minutes, walking one minute every ten. My new nutrition plan of Gatorade Endurance is working. The details of how to get it on the course so it calculates correctly are all that is left.

As I approach this third Ironman I am feeling very positive. So much of what happens on this course is weather dependant. And Lake Placid is one of the toughest courses out there. However it is the only Ironman I have ever done so I don't know any better. Maybe this will allow any other Ironman course to feel easy :-) My plan is to take the day as it comes and stick to my pacing goals. Roll with the punches, and stay on an even keel. It will be a special day for many reasons. Win, lose or draw it will be a blast, and that's what really matters.

So as summertime officially unrolls, I opened it with a fantastic swim in Canindaigua Lake, some coffee with a friend..... making pancakes at home. It's time to kick back, lather on the suntan lotion, and put our feet up!

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: