Saturday, June 30, 2007

The View

Many people have been asking me..... how does one train for two Ironmans in one year? Good question, this is new territory for me. We do have a plan however and after Ironman Lake Placid in a few weeks we will see if anything changes.

I don't think it is wise to do 2 Ironmans in a year. I think it takes a wicked toll on the body and on the mind. So why am I doing it? Another good question. A year in advance it all seems like a good idea.

The other reason is the possibility of a Hawaii qualification and the possibility of breaking eleven hours. The past few years I a Hawaii slot has eluded me, as I have really hit some stumbling blocks with my long distance performances. Those stumbling blocks are lessons. There are lessons in resistance. The past 3 years of long distance shortcomings are giving way to me being a better coach, and then in turn a better athlete. If I didn't know that the end of this period was coming, I would not keep at it.

My goals for Ironman Lake PLacid are very simple. The wide ranges for the time goals are based on weather. The same effort that one year brings you 6:00 on the bike, brings you 6:30 the next with a touch of wind.

Swim 1:00 (best time 57)
Bike 6:00-6:20 (best time 6:07)
Run 4:00-4:30 (best time 4:08)

My training for IMLP has consisted mostly of base training. I have not done a ton of speedwork, I have done a fair amount of tempo however. The idea is to build a massive base for Ironman Lake Placid.

Following the race I will likley take a complete week off. I will practice yoga, two days of yoga will cure it all. I promise you it is the fastest road to recovery. But it hurts to do it. A lot.

Week 2 the plan is to add in some swimming and cycling and running. By light I mean light. 30 minute runs. The temptation will be to do more.

The week of August 12th will be week 3 and we will continue to recover much the same as week 2. Week four, the week of August 19th is where we will begin some longer workouts. By longer I mean nothing over 2:00 on the bike yet. Curt will be preparing for the world championships during this time too, so his workouts take all priority.

When we head to Germany I plan do really kick things up. No super long riding in Germany but frequency will increase. From there we will increase the volume but more importantly begin some good intensity work.

The base will have been built and now the finishing touches of speed will be worked on. My goals for Ironman Florida;

swim sub 60
bike 5:30
run 4:00 or less.

So all of my training will gear directly towards that. I will sprinkle a few training races in there to spice it up and get my head back in the game.

So this is all how it looks on paper, and we will have to see how much and what changes after Lake Placid. Hands down IMLP is my favorite race. The beauty. The hills. It's a second home. And as I approach my final 6 hour ride tomorrow I approach it with a calm feeling of confidence.

The work has been done. The party is almost here.

Thanks for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: