Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Still on the Bridge?

I think I left my legs on the Bay Bridge in Maryland! Has anyone seen them?

Sunday evening it took us four hours to travel 40 miles from Cambridge Maryland across the Bay Bridge. I joked that it I was awake enough I'd hop on my bike and meet Kevin and Kitima on the other side. But I'd then be alone and that is no fun. We arrived home at 5am Monday morning.

Monday became a deserved day off. All I did was work. Luckily working from home means feet up and coffee in hand, so I am very blessed to be able to work from home. It could have been 12 hours on my feet in Peds ED and after a half Ironman that is just no darn fun.

With the intentions of sneaking 2 hours in before my four hour ride this morning, I hopped out of bed pretty eager at 4am. 30 minutes on the bike and my legs said "Good try Mary." And I was relegated to tinkering with the mounting of my Ergomo. Previously it has been mounted under my right forearm which can make for an annoying ride when you are trying to use the data during training rides and races. So for now electrical tape holds it in place while i consult Jen and Jerome for mounting tricks. I liked how Jerome had his mounted yet now I forgot how that looked.

What's that saying, about duct tape? :-)

Speaking of Power Meters I was confused about my data collection from Eagleman. For riding slow 2:40 it seemed that my wattage was rather high. An average of 264? That didn't seem right. Quick email to Trevor and he set me straight.....

The average and normalized power kinda look too high. Maybe you didn't calibrate your pm before the start. I don't know too much about the ergomo but I heard that you really have to take the time to calibrate it before every ride. Your average power was around 264 watts. To give you some idea of why I thought that it was off is that that's what Faris averaged for a 4:25 at Kona the year he won. :-) Plus the approx 2500 cals you burned on the bike also seem a little too high. :-)

Remembering my rookie mistakes that day..... not only did I not plug it in and had to stop..... I did in fact forget to calibrate it. Whew! But looking at the data I was able to be very consistent in cycling slowness, which is new for me. I had to swallow my massive cycling ego. And I am glad that I did.

So much for me being Faris' new training partner.

On deck still for the week is 20:25, which I am ready for. The intensity has kicked up a notch for my last 3 week Ironman build.... and I know now that I am ready to make the jump. I can't say it's going to be pretty but on July 2nd I will be glad for it. This weekend Curt and I are racing up in Hamilton Ontario, a short little race that I am using as speed work. The day before the race I will cycle the torturous 3 hours towards Buffalo, which is much much much more difficult than Lake Placid. If there is a God Curt will make it to me before I have to climb out of Warsaw. It's the way to my parents house and it will hurt. But a good hurt as they say!

So I am ready. Ready to begin this final push towards Lake Placid. I am dialing in nutrition and really pleased with it. I am dialing in my distance and speed and I am feeling positive. Things are coming together for the big dance. Especially my head.

Now it's time to find those legs....
:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: