Monday, June 11, 2007

Eagleman 70.3 Race Report Part I

This weekend I made the trek to Cambridge Maryland to the Ironman Eagleman 70.3 race in Cambridge Maryland. I had not planned on racing another 1/2 Ironman before Lake Placid, but the Monday before the opportunity presented itself. I was not rested nor tapered, and I couldn't really taper with my Lake Placid training. I needed the opportunity to practice pacing and nutrition…. and in retrospect I am so very glad I did.

I consulted with Trevor S., a good friend of mine whom I am begging to coach me next year. I told him of my carbo load plan and my nutrition and pacing plan for Egaleman, and he shot me an email that I am so glad for!

He pointed out that we know I have a strong bike. I have biked this course in 2:28 and 2:31 on difficult days, But each time I ride that hard my run suffers tremendously. And while I am very confident in my running abilities this year it is difficult for me to let go of that bike! Ego, ego ego.

Trevor suggested I really hang back on the bike. We set some wattage goals; I set MPH goals and cadence goals. On the way to Maryland Kevin, Kitima and I talked a lot about it. Kitima pointed out that the bike split was a consolation prize. We need to focus on the ultimate goal. I knew they were all right. I made the decision to bike 2:40. Of course no one believed me but I was determined to come off that bike feeling rather "cheesy" as Gordo would say.

Race day came after a great night of sleep in the tent. It was actually wonderful. My wave began at 7:58 under overcast skies. This might have been the best year in terms of weather. I have been here for hot, for windy and now for perfect.

I had a great swim, albeit the course was a tad short. I kept my stroke long and I did not get stung by jellyfish. Out of the water I stumbled through transition, making goofy rookie mistakes. I had to actually stop one mile into the bike and plug in my Power Meter….. I put it on the bike and I had forgotten to plug it in! Once back on a woman in my age group passed me at mile 5. And that's where the test began.

Every year I have done this race I am in the top ten for bike splits. My goal was to not make that list. I wanted to bike over 10 minutes slower and see how that would affect my run. In retrospect 5 minutes might have been better J

Natasha Badman, who won the race, said it best however, about what was going on, on the bike. "I saw cheating out there." She cried. "I saw drafting!"

During the ride I got swallowed up in a mass peleton. In USAT races you may NOT draft on the bike. Yet here were competitors, including several women in my age group who ended up top five in the age group. Drafting during a USAT race is just plain cheating.

I had to back off and then pass the massive group of 20 people who were riding dangerously. The second time I got swallowed up a woman said to me "We are not meaning to draft!"

"Then STOP!" I told her. "You have a choice to cheat or not to cheat. And if you are going to draft then get out of your aerobars. You are not even drafting correctly. Someone is going to crash."

At that time my friend Jen Harrison passed me, which made me feel good about my pacing because she began 5 min behind me. I knew I was riding slower (what a weird goal). We called back and forth to each other how awful the pack was. We tried to break it up. But we failed.

Finally a motorcycle pulled up, which was the only official vehicular I saw all day. He started writing down numbers and I knew if I didn't back off I'd earn myself a penalty. So I had to let go of Jen and sit back for a while as penalty warnings (only warnings?) were handed off. This was fine because I was on pace for 2:40, my heart rate was remaining below 150 and I was hitting my nutrition spot on. Trevor's plan was working!

Right on target…. at an embarrassingly slow 2:40. I hopped off the bike, grabbed my fuel belt which I had stashed in ice, and headed out on the run.

I felt amazing! I felt great! I felt like I could…. run! Trevor again was right! Backing off the bike lent me some running legs! I was able to hold my pace just below 8 minutes with ease and I walked a few seconds at each aid station….. and then I realized I was going to flirt with breaking 5 hours. This could bring me back to the fours,…. where I belong!

I was so intent however at sticking with the plan and sticking with the goal…. that I just kept my plan. I drank coke and Gatorade as Trevor had guided me, and I think I grinned from ear to ear the whole time. I spotted Bill, Kevin and Kitima (who all PR'D by the way!!!!) AND I FELT TERRIFIC. Better Then I have ever felt during a half Ironman in a long time. I had bounce! I had happiness. I was so thrilled! But again, I kept to the plan and I walked a bit at each station.

I cam through the finish line in 5:01…. my fastest time in 3 years. I had nailed the plan. I was thrilled for so many reasons, especially because I am in the middle of an 18 hour training week, did a four hour ride 3 days ago…. and was using this day for what it was.

I was thrilled with nutrition. I was thrilled with how I felt. I was thrilled with my pacing. And my love for this distance came rolling back to me. I know I am capable of a 4:45 1/2 Ironman. I have spent a long time figuring things out and I am excited to finally begin to get things right. I know what I am capable of and I have found the right mentor to help me get there.

On the way home I thought about Ironman Florida….. and I allowed myself some time to think about it. Two Ironmans in a year is a lot on a body and a family. So I just might call it a season after IMLP so that I can take an early off-season and begin working on my running for 2008. But you just never know with me. That could change in a few days.

Special thanks to Trevor for his spot on help. Thanks to Handlebars, Tri Running and Walking, Breathe, Twin Advertising, Score-This and to my awesome TT Team for their support. Next I will have up the Team report because you can't go on a trip with your friends without some adventure happening…….

No comments: