Saturday, January 5, 2008

Ass Cold

It's ass cold up here in Rochester NY. Ass cold. What's ass cold? Not a silly question, don't feel ashamed that you asked. Ass cold in my definition is cold with a bite, and it usually happens when the temperature dips below 10.

It should be a crime to be living somewhere below 10 degrees.

Now with that being said winter is gorgeous, stunning, and my preferable temperature is between 20-35 degrees. It's warm enough to play outside, go sledding, snowshoeing, and even catch a tan on your cheeks.

But not this week. Ass cold has reared it's ugly head and ass cold has taken such a hold of me that in the 90 degree yoga studio in which I teach...... I have to wear a base layer black top to stay warm. Once that bite gets you it doesn't let go.

I train in my garage, which is about 15 degrees warmer. Cold but warm enough that I can work on my HTFU. I wear toe warmers in my bike shoes, and I wear a lot of clothes.

Winter laundry is worse than summer laundry.

But in 7 short weeks I will be heading to South Carolina (South, right?) for a weekend of training with the girls.... and in 7 short weeks the temperatures will have to be above 30 degrees there (right?), and in 7 short weeks I hope to be riding through some mountains, and drinking a lot of coffee and meeting some new friends.

I have had 2 assignments; find a van for the Carolina trip, and find a hotel for Gulf Coast. As I have been making some nation wide friends not only will be be in the Carolina's together but also in Panama City Beach.

And right about now, that sounds just like heaven.

If you know anything about me you know that I have a had a lifelong almost crippling fear of flying. In 2003 I turned down a spot to Kona because I didn't want to fly. Even though I had flown to Kona in 1999. Even though I had flown to Ironman Canada in 2001.

My outrageous fear + Sept 11th, left me on the ground for four years.

And then one day I decided to get over myself and over this damn fear.

In 2005 I went back to the friendly skies and since then have flown to Atlanta, Kansas City, Hawaii, Florida (four times), and Germany.

And I shall fly at least 2 times this year.

So when I upgraded to an iPod classic from an iPod Nano this week, I now had the capacity to download TV shows. I haven't watched TV in ages, and I decided since this writer's strike was on, now might be a good time to catch up on this show called LOST I keep hearing about.

Which was all fine and dandy until I watched episode #1. Involves a plane crash to my surprise. Hmmmm..... I suppose LOST.... involving being LOST on an island..... I imagine they didn't get there by a row boat. Maybe it was my subconscious mind that drew me to watch.

But that's all right, I am completely hooked on this show. During my easy rides I can get through 2 episodes. I don't dare watch during a sweet spot ride.

And the one thing that has caught my eye more than anything.... the sun, she beach the warmth. Right now as I sit here in ass cold central, I have a bit of an inkling to be lost myself.

With my bike of course.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, Mary..ass cold...just like here in chicago...it was -5 here 2 days ago and WAHHHLA...it was 58 here today. I kid you not. And, of course, what was I doing? AN INDOOR TT. HAHAHA :)) But, who would have thought? Stay warm...I think some warmth is coming to you.
Jen H.

Marit C-L said...

I hate flying. I hate flying. Aaak! But I bust a gut laughing when I read your "Lost" comment. Plane crash... oops! Hope that things warm up for you! Enjoy your training trip in SC - sounds awesome! Stay warm and hang in there!

Ashley said...

come south! oh, right... you are! can't wait. btw, the high is 67 today (here in G'vegas baby)

Ashley said...

I'm so excited! Cheers to new friends, training in SOUTH Carolina, warm weather, and Gulf Coast.