Monday, January 21, 2008

Balancing Act



(I saw and stole this picture from Chuckie V's Site.....for you Marit :-)


Even though my friend Ass Cold has made a triumphant return to Western New York, I have been waking up smiling and ready for each and every day. Things are going well here at Train-This on so many different fronts, and I am truly so grateful.

My athlete stable is at capacity, and we've got a waiting list for those who want to come on board. Which led to the decision to add a third associate coach, named Teena Clark. Teena is one hell of a duathlete and especially a time trialist. She's the mother of two, a physical therapist, a teacher and the wife of Rich Clark.... who owns Score-This... the brainchild of Train-This! She will be taking on athletes beginning in February, and believe me this is a great problem to have.

I am also referring athletes to the other local coaches.... see if we can drum them up some business too!

The more difficult schedule I have tapered into is holding very steady. I even am taking a lot of couch time, at least 20 minutes per day. Just as important as time on.... is down time. In fact the busier you are the more important it becomes.

My son believes that while he is at school I am home playing with his stuffed animals. He thinks I sit home and wait for him all day long. As long as I can keep him believing that, then I know i have found the right balance.

This week was a bigger week of training for me, about 15 hours worth, and it's going really well. Nothing long yet, but lots of frequency. I remember last year struggling through some four hour trainer rides, and feeling like it was hanging over my head all the time. This season we are working intensity early on the bike, and we will add the volume as camp HTFU approaches.

New to the schedule this season are some road races in the winter. No tapering, no resting for them, a chance to toughen me up. This week it is the Hearnish 10K. Key there being -ISH. Rumor has it this is closer to 7 miles, and it's nothing but hills. I am aiming for it to be a good tempo run with my team. If nothing else, it will be fun and it will be cold!!!! With this race we begin some intensity work, as it has been E paced galore so far!

I am feeling good, I feel that my body is adapting to training and to the schedule. I feel healthy, I feel happy.

It's a wonderful way to start the year and I am so grateful for it!




3 comments:

Wingman said...

Did I read that right - INTENSITY WORK - :) :) :) :). I may just have to take a trip up to Rochester with my weight sled to do some sprints with the train-this crew!

Anonymous said...

No rumor - it is a certified 6.385 miles. And yes, all hills.

Marit C-L said...

MARY! Eeek Gads! I too saw this, and just about jumped up - combined laughing and horror struck at the same time. I was told that sharks STAY OUT OF THE SURF ZONE! (That was the only way I would go into the water during one really big surf ocean swim!). Nate was pretty amused. Actually - when I looked it up online, there's some debate about if its really a dolphin or a shark. The caudal fin suggests dolphin (curved and hooked)... however the front shadow/profile suggests shark. I don't know. Whatever it is, it's big. And I'm glad I wasn't there. But there are some other "good" photos online of sharks and shark shadows in waves. They are there.
Glad that training is going well! Sorry to hear that its cold up there - I'll try to send some Florida "warmth" up your way. It may take a while to hit, though. Just in time for Camp HTFU. :) Cheers!