Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Confessions of a Skirt

The first time I ordered a Skirt from Skirt Sports, I got a phone call from Nicole DeBoom herself. So convinced it was a joke I even told her so. But Mary! I remember her saying, This really is Nicole DeBoom! It was impressive that someone of her name and stature would call just to confirm and thank me for an order. Of a skirt that I was going to run in. Even I wasn't quite convinced. But I liked Nicole, I liked what she stood for. So I thought I would give it a try.

I don't remember how but somehow the conversation turned to body image and women and then we were talking about eating disorders. She commended me on my recovery and the next thing I knew a box of eight skirts arrived with a "Welcome to the Skirt Ambassador Program" card.

Well it has been three years and I have been in a skirt ever since. They aren't skorts, they are skirts and I swear to you... they are gloriously comfortable. The first time I ever ran in one... it was pouring rain. It was comfortable in the rain. Is anything comfortable in the rain?

Being a fellow woman small business owner, I have continued to support Skirt Sports ever since, and I am a proud skirt wearer. In my line of work you don't have the chance to wear dress up clothes, so I wear it when I am running. I can go for a run and then head into first grade without looking like a slime ball.

My favorite are the Roller Girl and the Marathon Girl. I do have a Groovy Gym girl.... which is the one with the shorts underneath, and I have to say I like the spankies the best.

I even wear them in my Ironman races, on the run. If wearing a skirt makes me feel good, I am going to wear a skirt. Feeling good helps me run better, so guess what? The shorts aren't coming home anytime soon!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Okay, I have to admit - the first time I saw a "running skirt" I was not impressed. Seriously - what is that?! But I only ever hear really good things about them. I think I'm going to have to be a convert! If I do try it I'll definitely buy from Nicole DeBoom's business just in case she decides to call me too! :)

BreeWee said...

Cool- I never knew anyone who really wore one of the skirts... Thanks for the report...I might just try it but I am sure I would get my head laughed off wearing it in Kona! I already get teased because I LOVE LOVE LOVE to run in BIG hoop earrings! I even wore the biggest hoops I could find for my 1/2 marathon and I got my PR!
Yea, big hoops and a skirt... I can see it now!

Pedergraham said...

My friend Courtney had a pretty pink one she runs in...and she looks great in it. Mary--I think you are right about feeling good in what you wear. I loved this bit that Nicole has up on her website: "My age is splashed all over the place. I won't hide from it. I can't run from it. So instead I embrace it with a full and open heart. I am 35 years old. Born February 17, 1972. I'm a good, strong, smart 35. No longer "young" but not yet "old". I'm somewhere in the middle."