Saturday, January 26, 2008

Birthday Blow Out!

It was a perfect birthday, I couldn't' have had any more fun!

It all began at Masters where even Ken's eyes widened at our given set. My mouth hit the floor. But we did it. I did not get lapped once. I made every interval and I had to lay down after practice for a few minutes!

"Happy Birthday" Coach Lorie smiled at me. I hadn't done yardage like that since college. I hadn't felt like that since college either!

Next it was off to breakfast at Cracker Barrel, where I had every intention of chowing down! I ordered it all, eggs, pancakes, sausage patties..... the classic swimming hunger was on board.
But I couldn't even finish it. One pancake and I was full.

The Strong National Museum of Play and the much anticipated exhibit Grossology was awesome. Only our school district had the day off so the crowds were light. Grossology was quite interesting, you truly did learn the science of bodily functions. I shall post some pictures tomorrow.

There is a new exhibit called the Butterfly Garden, which was by far the best part. A butterfly even landed on Luc's nose! We giggled and giggled... this morning my abs are sore from the laughing.

Later on after Curt came home from work my parents came up from Buffalo, and we had a small family party. Luc selected Strawberry Shortcake Birthday hats, Backyardigans noise makers, and whistles as party favors. Over pizza and cake we laughed some more. The fireplace was roaring, it was pure bliss.

I think I started to appreciate my parents when I was 20.... the culmination of my illness. I distinctly remember having the realization that I was loved, I was supported, and we could together endure this storm. It's been that way ever since. They are truly incredible people.

Last night I took that step back, I looked at everyone and I told them how grateful I was for them. We are only the sum of all of our parts, and right now I have some pretty great peeps in my life.

Thank you so much for all of your kind birthday wishes. They mean more than you could know!

Now it's time to bundle up! I have a hilly 10K in 2 hours, and guess what! It's the warmest day of the week, twenty eight degrees!!!! WOO HOO!

Litte Update! The race went fine! I got in a good 20 min warm up.... a 6.5 (according to my Garmin) race and a good 10 min cool down. Till mile 3 I was thinking "These hills ain't so bad" and then they came. Holy camola! But I accomplished all of my goals. I got some tempo work, I got some hills, I ran a 10K in the winter and I had a lot of fun. My performance reflected where I am at in my training program, and I am looking forward to some more good winter races. Who says 28 degrees is cold??????

:-) Mary

2 comments:

Cindy Jo said...

Mary - I just checked your blog today for the first time in quite a while. How fortunate that it was in time to wish you a Happy Birthday! Here's to a great year!!!

Marit C-L said...

Nice job Mary - hope that you got all of my "good vibes". I was sending them along with extra warm temps! Congrats! Take an ice bath and enjoy your success!