Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008

As the clock struck midnight and 2008 came rolling in, there we all stood, crammed into room #35 in the Peds ED. We passed out sparkling grape juice to the parents and children and we stood with our plastic cups in hand.

There we all stood, taking just a moment in a busy day. To stand together, nurses, residents, attending, NP, and technicians, secretaries, housekeepers and transporters. We raised our cups and cheered one another.

Today we had taken care of one of our own, and it was the most frightening event of the year. Looking into a colleague's eyes as her child lay extremely ill, unknowing, speculating, working feverishly to stabilize......

That's what you get when you work in a place like this. You get a family. We cry, we laugh, we hold together. No matter what your title is, we are equals here.

You may have to wait long, you may not have to. But when you roll in to see us know that you are being taken care of by the very best. We will risk our own lives (and we have) to save your child's.

So as the clock stuck 12 and I closed my eyes, I thought of my husband and son who were home sound asleep. I felt grateful for all I have in this life. I felt proud to call myself a nurse. I felt honored to call myself a coach and a teacher.

Right at that moment I was delighted and humbled to look around at my Pediatric Emergency family. To be part of this amazing team is quite a milestone, not just for me but for us all. We go through so much together.

As I drive home at thirty minutes past midnight, the trauma bells had not rung, and at just 5 after midnight the first teenage drunk rolled in covered in vomit, and right then the streets were quiet.

I tiptoed in and kissed the boys good night. I quietly thanked them for another beautiful year and I happily look ahead to the one before us.

1 comment:

BreeWee said...

WHAT A JOB YOU HAVE!!! It takes a strong woman to handle your line of work and I hope 2008 brings you lots of miracles in that hospital!!