Thursday, February 7, 2008

Warm

I was feeling tired this morning. I have been sititng at my desk, preparing spinning class, this am's swim, and my run. Assembling music. I am looking out my window to snow, and I am so glad it is not rain or ice. This is winter give me snow.

And again I vowed that when I earn my Master's I will take a travel job to a warm climate with the boys. I love to watch them play on the beach next to the ocean.

Mopey, I am a little mopey this morning.

Then the doorbell rang. It was the Fed Ex truck with my Camp HTFU suit from Splish.

It made me smile.

In the package the lovely Dawn Heckman had packed me a cap. A pink cap. I don't like pink but it made me smile. I just might wear it.

Then I re-read an email from Ashley. She said it was 74 degrees in South Carolina yesterday. I visited Marit's page. She lives in Florida and I will say nothing more but know I am envious.

So Jennifer, Elizabeth, and I (where does Leslie live?) rest in the tundra, the Northeast for me and the middle of the country for them. When I hear they were socked with snow, I know I am next.

But in just 21 days we will all converge in a passenger van, in South Carolina. I really only know Jen, but I feel like I have known these gals all my life. They've got some serious track records, and they are all highly talented women who are much faster than I am.

I think camps are terrific for that very reason. Where, except in a race am I going to have this sort of experience? To train with the best of the best and come out of it at a brand new level?

One might thing with the trophies these ladies have, that there could be a clash of the ego.

But I think that's why we've all gotten along so well. Because with this gang, that doens't exist. I feel a sense of team, community, togetherness. Like the sorority that I never belonged to, but could there be a sorority quite like this? No hazing, no drama.... just bring your bike and get ready for some good old fashioned training and fun.

Rather than hairdos there are helmets. Instead of designer boots there are running shoes.

Although, we all did make a special custom HTFU suit for this event. So we have that.

And coffee, don't forget the coffee. Except Jen Harrison is allowed none of that.

So here's to Camp HTFU. Here's to riding in the sun. Here's to our completley rediculous suits. Here's to a lot of miles, here's to a lot of laughing.

It brightens my day just thinking about it!

6 comments:

Beth said...

OH I am so jealous!! You guys will have a blast - and lots of good training. Definitely something to look forward to!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, this got me fired up. But, don't count the BOOTS - black/high heels out - remember, we are with baby young, Ashley at a ripe ol age of 24/25. Remember, she wanted to take our tired old butts to see KID ROCK in concert after all of this!? :) I love it!!! And, Mary...we are lucky to have you in the camp. I'll be on your wheel all weekend hopefully while we are both wearing our HTFU suits! Jen H!

Marit C-L said...

Oh Mary! I teared up when I read your entry - because I feel exactly the same way!!! I am so lucky to have gotten to "know" everyone via the blogging network that we've created. I feel a tremendous kinship with everyone else... just incredible. You're right about the ego thing - I think that people get so wrapped up in "who can do what" or "I went this fast!"... And that's not what counts. It's not what the camp is about... I want to get better - but I also want EVERYONE else to get better. A totally unselfish pursuit, I suppose. I just can't wait...I say that we all ride our bikes in our HTFU suits. Just for the hell of it!

THIS WILL BE AWESOME! And I can't wait to swim with you!!!

BreeWee said...

Okay Okay Okay, this post is killing me! I agree with Merit, I feel like I have gotten to know so many blog buddies and I LOVE to hear their good race reports and trainings and I feel bad with them when life stinks... it is so cool. MAN am I bummed I live so far (actually I like where I live, I am bummed you all live so far), I want to tag along on the trip! I need to learn to swim from you...!
Have fun, please post a million photos... 21 days till you all rock that van!

Ashley said...

I LOVE IT! Reading that post MADE MY DAY!!!! This is what it's all about... why I train/race/love triathlon. I feel so lucky to have you all coming here.

Anonymous said...

Wait - are we supposed to make personalized HTFU swimsuits? I didn't get that memo..can I still come if I just wear my plain black speedo like I do every time I swim?