Saturday, April 5, 2008

Fearless

The word I am wrapping my soul around right now is fearless. Right now I am and I need to be fearless. Without fear. Without doubt. Without anything but pure heart. March was a difficult month. I got all my training in but it was hard to keep myself at the surface of the water. So many things were going on that were beyond my control.

Then the calendar flipped and April 1st rolled around. Those hours and miles have started to show some effect. I am feeling light on my feet. I have dropped several pounds in a month (I know.... juts happened), and I have the fire within my heart.

I have a running race tomorrow. A 9.5 miler at the end of a 17 hour training week. I am feeling good, light, sparky, free. Excited.

Maybe this is what happens when you do a few Ironmans in a year. You start to feel the fitness boost. And maybe this is what happens when you find the right coach to work with. The one who tells you to HTFU when you complain that it is snowing. The one who makes you ride TWO FTP rides per week in your garage. The one who sees something in you that you don't always see. The one who is not afraid to get in your face.

I found a bracelet with the word Fearless on it. I wrote the word on my hand (thanks to Elizabeth for that trick....) and I wrote it on my yoga mat.

Because you know what? I will approach the starting line without fear. I will run towards that finish line without fear. And then Gulf Coast is just a few weeks away. The sun is waiting, the heat is building. I am looking forward to that and I am looking forward to Ashely and I am looking forward to Marit. (Will I see you there ELF???). I am looking forward to being free and running wildly and laughing in the sun.

The way it should be.

Today I am completely fearless. I leave the past behind. I drop my bag of shit and I am running towards the sun.

5 comments:

Marit C-L said...

That's it Mary! And I can't wait to cheer you on at Gulf Coast! Hooray! It's okay to be afraid, to have fear... something that we all deal with. It's just how we choose to deal with it.... you are a fantastic example! Wonderful, beautiful, and I will jump (as much as I can) up and down as you fearlessly conquer Panama City Beach!

kodiacbear said...

HA!! How funny--I have a bracelet with the same saying. Mine does not come off!! I look at it every time I go downhill, every time I stumble and then get up. GO Get 'em girl!

Wingman said...

The key to determination, motivation and ultimately success if being able to stare our fears in the face and say FU; you do it Coach!

Amanda said...

wow mary what an irony, i just ordered bracelets that say fearless for a friend and I--we are graduating together and i feel that mantra ringing in my ears with my uncertain career/future path.
STAY FEARLESS Love, Amanda

Ashley said...

oh right! Gulf Coast ;) 1st, congrats on your RUN break through!! Awesome. Also, maybe we should sched a phone conference to discuss FL details. ha ha. Talk to you soon.