Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Passion


Just a picture of my race suit for Gulf Coast, well really I was caught trying it on by a 7 year old and a camera.....
Less than 2 weeks to race day and I simply can not wait. I feel like a bear in a cage.... let me have at it!!!!


Coach T has warned me, simmer down cowgirl he said! Gulf Coast is the test, Lake Placid is the prize... and I know he will have me rocking up until race day. Still however, how I feel I am prepared right now as opposed to last year at this time, or the year before, or the year before..... is a massive step ahead.


It might very well be in my head ... but isn't that where it should be? I feel I can just lay it all down at Gulf Coast and race on passion. Yes there will be fatigue from not much of a taper, and the big weeks I am putting in, and all of that. But I don't care if I am 70% or 100% ready I am willing to see what happens.


I am just ready to feel the last 30 seconds before the gun shoots off and we all run into the ocean together. When the world stops and time stands still. And my heart pounds with pure excitement. Fingers on watches, track stances taken, bikes ready to go, sunshine ready to burn me to a crisp.....


I see now how the build has worked. Rather than sit me on the trainer for the typical 5 hour indoor rides we worked intensity early on the bike. We got my long runs up early ... I was told I'd be running 2 hours every weekend for the rest of my life ..... oh we just happened to change that to Tuesdays...... and my swim.... feeling good.


It doesn't matter what your fitness level is, what percentage. If you can race from your heart, from the deepest point of your passion..... if you can throw fear away and not be afraid to come apart..... that's the victory. While victory comes in times and placings... it also comes from that place deep within you that lets you know you are alive.


The passion.


For the first time in a long time I feel it swirling through me. And in 14 days when that gun goes off I will race according to plan.... with the addition of a lot of heart.

2 comments:

Marit C-L said...

And one very excited friend cheering you on from the sandy beaches of Panama City!

GREAT SUIT MARY!!!!

I can feel your excitement through the keyboard. I LOVE IT!

Laura said...

Mary - Found you from Katie Weaver Jongerius. I'm doing Gulf Coast and Lake Placid too! Lake Placid will be my first IM and I'm super scared of it, but I LOVE GULF COAST!!! Good luck to you next weekend. Maybe see you down there.