Saturday, April 26, 2008

Oppertunity

This fall I have been offered an amazing opportunity. I have been offered the opportunity to travel to Haiti and work with an organization called Hope Haiti, which one of my yoga students and friends, Michael Shilds is a part of. What would I do? I'd be a nurse in a clinic there and see first hand exactly what they do not have in Haiti. I'd have the chance to do something really important and really meaningful.

The funny thing is, I have gotten nothing but resistance from my family. Those who would never do something like this send me daily warnings of travel from the State Department. There is so much however that is not known about the region. It's what groups like Hope Haiti and Climbing for Christ have discovered.

An opportunity to make a difference.

Is there anything better?

I have a talent. I am a really good nurse and I say that with confidence and not with arrogance. I can keep my wits about me when things are hitting the fan. When arms come off, when lives are hanging. I can get an IV into anything. I can take orders without taking them personally.

There are no many moments as a nurse that have change the very core of who I am. Moments that have shaken me and brought me to tears with families.

It's easy to get caught up in the other stuff. One of the big reasons I continue to work as a nurse (it would be so very easy for me to leave the field and coach full time...) is because it is my chance to give back, to remain in touch with reality, keep my feet on the ground.

So what better way to do something good and have a life changing experience than to go to somewhere where this talent of mine could be used?

Much more to come, I think this is so very exciting!

1 comment:

IronBolus said...

People often say you can't or you shouldn't when they are unable to find the strength in themselves to tackle something amazing. Opportunities to truly help and change someone's life, to really give back are the rarest opportunities in life. The reward in Hati won't be crossing the finish line or seeing someone you coached cross the finish line but rather giving someone the opportunity to continue on their life's journey. That is more important than any risk or any time split.