Wednesday, January 28, 2009

agreement

It's just over 11 weeks until New Orleans and I am chomping at the bit. I made the decision to wait until I turned 35 until I began any formal speedwork for this race (which was Sunday) and I am glad that I did. It's coming to me, not being forced.

I have also made some changes to my 2009 racing schedule. Gulf Coast might be out, due to an aggressive travel schedule declared by my husband. There's a reason we've been married 10 years and I would like to make it to 20..... compromise is always a good thing. But don't count it out yet......

I decided against racing some local 5K's this weekend for the simple reason that I just didn't feel like racing just yet. Even if these were training races.

The fire is beginning to burn.

With that fire comes the mental homework, or in my case the spiritual homework. I am always in the process of completing spiritual homework (hazard of being a yogi), because the spiritual path is an ever evolving one.

One of the books I rely heavily upon for guidance on that path is The Four Agreements, by Don Miguel Ruiz. He makes things very simple (which is the attraction for girls like me... we like simplicity). He states that the four agreements are this:

1. Be impeccable with your word.
2. Don't take anything personally.
3. Don't make assumptions
4. Always do your best.

Sit with these four statements for a while and see how they apply to you in whatever situation you choose to apply them.

As an example we can apply these to a bike test. Very simple and non personal situation to use.

1. Be impeccable with your word: in this case would mean (to me at least) that I will use only positive self talk. No emotional abuse during this test.

2. Don't take anything personally: my watts will be what they will be. If I attain a higher or lower FTP it does not mean you suck as a human being. They are what they are.

3. Don't make assumptions: whatever the FTP turns out to be... don't assume it will be X Y or Z on race day.

4. Always do your best: here's the easiest one to apply. Do my darn best.

Disclaimer: applying the four agreements to a bike test is actually easy. Go ahead and apply them to your life. Much harder. The example of a bike test is just that, an example. Take it for what it is.

Imagine if every single person was impeccable with their word. Imagine if every person took nothing personally. Even the insults hurled at them from others. Imagine if we never made assumptions and imagine..... just imagine if we always tried our best.

Can life really be that simple? Can our sport really be that simple?

I guess the answer is up to you. If you choose to answer it. We are never an end result as people, athletes, mothers.... all the roles that we play in our lives. But on the journey, what if we kept things a little bit simpler? Hmmmmm...... thoughts to at least ponder.

5 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

Thanks. Bike tests used to literally bring me to tears and i have had to work really hard at letting those watt numbers just be what they are. numbers. that dont control me or what kind of person and athlete i am.

Happy bday a bit late.
Julia

Go Mom Go said...

First,
I missed wishing you a happy birthday...so "happy birthday".

Second,
Where can I find this book??? I am going to have to check Amazon.

Thanks!

Marit C-L said...

GREAT post Mary - really makes one think (but in a simplified way!) I too forgot to wish you a happy birthday. So HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!!! Yeah for listening to your body and doing the speedwork at the right time! I am so impressed with you Mary - thank you for always teaching!

Kim said...

I like those. Very interesting and something to think about. I agree, I don't have any issues with number 4, I probably need a bit of work on 1-3! There is somethign about January that always takes me down the "what do I want to do differently, do better, or work on in myself" road. I guess we are all a lot alike! Hope the bike test goes stellar!

Damie said...

Nice post...and happy birthday. :)