Sunday, January 4, 2009

the year of heart

I don't know why, but there is just something about the month of January that jazzes me up. Maybe it is because my birthday is January 25th. Maybe it is because this year I am 35 and I am excite for a new age group. Maybe because January to so many of us represents a fresh start and 365 days of possibility.

Looking ahead to the 2009 season.... for me I have some good realistic and very attainable goals. I have a few goals in the reach category... and the Newton 24 Hours Of Triathlon fulfills one of the races on my "bucket list."

Most of all I am very excited as I sit back and take a look at the 2009 Train-This Triathlon Team. I am so fortunate to have the opportunity to work with so many amazing athletes from beginner to advanced. From Sprint triathlon to 5K to Marathon to Ironman. And everything in between.

I have worked with some of these athletes anywhere from 1-4 years. I cherish that athlete and coach relationship that we develop. I feel like I know this team like the back of my hand. I know what workouts will challenge them and which ones they need to HTFU for. I also enjoy the process of getting to know the new athletes. I just love the whole darn thing.

As we sit down and plan seasons and make goals it motivates me as well. They light the fire in me.

Each year we have a bit of a different flavor to our team and I think every year, every season has been so darn special for so many reasons. We embrace a team atmosphere and for those who live locally there are a lot of group training opportunities that this gang sets up. for those who are out of town I look so forward to traveling to races to hang out and enjoy the experience a race offers. A reunion plus a family feeling I suppose.

I could assign a theme to the seasons in some ways. There have been some years where the theme has been togetherness. Integrity. Pride. I'd have to say this year could be called HEART. Each season has a ton of heart, but 2009 it is brimming for sure.

I feel so lucky and honored that these athletes have asked me to help them on their journeys. I take that position very seriously and I treasure it so much. There are a lot of people out there who slam triathlon coaches for whatever reason, slam coaching for whatever reason, I don't get involved in that kind of stuff. I am proud of what I do, I am very proud of the company that I own and the growth it has been able to experience. Four years ago I would have never understood the quality of people I have been able to work with.

That kind of trust is something I never take lightly and I never take for granted.

So here is to another season, in 2009. Here at Train-This we've got all bases covered. Goals have been set, the year has turned and this season.... we will be living more than we ever have!

No comments: