Wednesday, January 7, 2009

juice cleanse: 1/2 way there

The second day of the juice cleanse is always the hardest. You don't feel good. In fact you feel like ass. This juice cleanse is a lot like the Ironman.... you have to suffer to reap the benefits. The benefits don't come until Friday.

But if there was ever a day I was going to blow the entire thing, it would have been today. Which I blame on my own poor planning and mother nature.

Scheduled to pick up my juices at 0730, I headed to swim practice at 0530 fueled by 1/2 Acai frozen berry. And an apple. Yeah. I know. With over 24 hours since my last slice of bread I suddenly wondered how I thought training 15 hours this week + juice cleanse with the amount of calories for a normal person fit me.

The devil was sitting on my shoulder. Little bastard.

The plan: swim practice.... swing over to Breathe for my juices..... then over to the hospital for my CPR class (which for the record I am renewing before it has expired. Gold star for me).

With an inch of ice and freezing rain, that plan didn't quite work. I knew I wouldn't be able to pick up my juices until noon. Which meant I had to scrounge. I had four apples with me. I would have had more but my bananas are still green and I was hurrying. Note Note NOTE POOR PLANNING.

Swim practice wasn't so bad, but swim practice never really. is. Sure I felt like I was circling the bowl a bit but I knew that would happen so I adjusted accordingly. Anyone who has ever been a swimmer knows the danger zone is after the swim.

I made it through Starbucks with a Venti Pike Place and no scone. I made it to Peds ED to drop off my Health Update where at 8am there were chocolates and cookies on the counter. Made it through a 3 hour CPR class where there were bagles and pastries.

Every carb on earth was screaming out to me today. And I made it through on four apples. Now remember i am juice cleansing to cleanse, not to be all Atkins or something. But this poor planning left me in quite a lurch as you can imagine.

When I finally arrived at Breathe I had my entire day of juices plus a big bowl of veggie broth waiting for me, and good friends to laugh with. I took a 1/2 hour to slowly fuel up and get my bearings back.

I have been asked by many out of town friends if this is something they could do at home. Certainly, if you are of good health (medical disclaimer). To see what the juices consist of click here.

Pictured here are the following:


Front: vegetable broth

Front Left / white cup: The All America. I think you need a juicer for this one, and it is served hot. Basically hot apple juice (you could buy premade) and I think there is some ginger in there. Check the menu.

Front Left: Caribbean Cooler, can be made with a blender.... served cold.

Back Left: Breathe Classic, can be made with a blender.... served cold

Front right: Lemon up. I think it needs to be made with a juicer or perhaps can be bought as carrot juice, but with enough lemon that it tastes more lemon than carrot.

Back right: Ginger snap. Might need to be made with juicer: carrots and ginger. Ginger overshadows the carrots.

As I tried to guestimate the caloric content of the day I am coming up with about 1,500 calories. So Yes, I am low on the caloric amount. I am averaging 2 hours of E.A.S.Y. workouts a day.... and I will likely add another Acai juice to this mix. Don't forget I can have as much fruit and veggies as I want. But it is hard to fuel up with 4,000 calories of lettuce!

As someone who has had an eating disorder that was very severe this tests me in many ways. When I get hungry I almost feel that same "high" as I used to.... and if you have ever been there you know what I mean. I think as long as I am aware and don't take that and run.... that I am okay. So being aware.... and holding myself accountable (with you).... is keeping me in check.

There is no way on earth I would do this for more than 3 days. I need protein and I need carbs. My biggest goal in all of this is to detox.... as some of you know I have been chemicalized in some forms this year. I want that all out.

This might or might not be for you. It's very personal and there are many really good reasons as to why this would not be for you. And I would hope you planned better than I have.

Today I feel pretty good. This is usually the day I feel like S*** which makes me feel that my recent diet changes have taken hold. I am not hungry at all, in fact I have to force in the food. This makes me notice how much I can just pop in my mouth at work, or making meals, or even grocery shopping. So it has increased my awareness tenfold.

We are half way there.... so far so good! Now someone please..... pass the lettuce!


1 comment:

Damie said...

I have always wanted to try the juice detox, but I am a weenie- a scared weenie. Kudos to you!