Tuesday, January 20, 2009

not the cake

I had a massive failure the other night. And it involved cake. I am the type of girl who prefers the icing over the cake. Many a cakes throughout my youth and my life have been the victim of my licking the icing off and hope no one notices antics.

Until that damn juice cleanse.

I have been feeling great since the big cleanse. My affection for all things sweet and sugary has been replaced by a craving for juicy fruits. Bananas, mango's, acai.... name it. So at work the other night when my friend Janet and I were presented with a birthday cake (our birthdays are 3 days apart).... I thought.... well I haven't had cake in a long time, and there is always time for Birthday cake!

So I cut myself a slice with a lot of frosting.

I took the first bite and it was heaven.

The second one... notsomuch. I looked at where the cake was from. You'd be hard pressed to find a bad cake from Wegmans. I took another bite. I could eat no more. Where are my apples?

Horrified at my failure I ate a piece of sponge candy. Chocolate was sure to cure.... again no dice. Tasted awful. Tasted sweet and artificial.

My GAWD SAY THIS ISN'T SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was this really form the cleanse? I don't know. There are no big scientific studies to even prove a cleanse is beneficial. It may very well be mental over physical, but in the same breath that I was horrified at myself..... I was happy about it.

Except I don't know what to do about my birthday on Sunday. A birthday with no cake?

Oh dear lord. I don't know what we will do. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Laura said...

I have pumpkin pie for my birthday every year. My mom even use to put candles in the pie. (My birthday is very close to Thanksgiving, so I guess it's not THAT weird, right? ;)

Pedergraham said...

Oh no, Mary. I am all about the frosting, too. Maybe you need a cheesecake with all kinds of frsh fruit on top.

wiley said...

Carrot cake cupcake w/ cream cheese frosting-it's a veggie right?

Marit C-L said...

Mary! I don't know weather to laugh or cry! As a self-confessed sheet cake lover, I am appalled. But - as someone who is watching her weight in the beginning of training, I am green with envy. :) Maybe if I go on the juice program, I can squash my addiction, er, love of sheet cake. No - I love it too much to give it up. :) Good luck with that one. I dont really know what else to say. ELF would be appalled!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Mary! We must eat cake. One of our food groups. I have eaten several pieces of cake since my bday and then the twins' yesterday....NOT my favorite, but the cake yesterday was DREAMY for some reason? Anyway, enjoy!!!!

Damie said...

so what happened? I wish that would happen to me. I could eat cake for every meal- birthday or no.