Tuesday, February 10, 2009

me, myself and i

Coaching myself is going well..... thanks for asking ;-). I wasn't sure how it would go and at first I have to admit, we had a bit of a rough start. Then I had to begin approaching myself like one of my athletes.

I fill out my training log, and I send a daily email .... to myself.

And right about now I am wondering if I really should be publishing the fact that I do that. But I also admit to calling myself and leaving myself a voicemail when I need to remember something. I always tell myself to have a nice day and that I am one super awesome rock star chick.

That way I can take a look at my training objectively, do a little evaluation, and see what progress is or is not being made.

Today's example:

Tempo ride, I will spare you the details.

Today's email to self (again I wonder if I should really admit to this....)

Hello Coach!

Today's ride went well. I was able to hit all of the tempo intervals in the specified ranges. I know there were only four, but I feared that I would not remain on said bike for the cool down, so I threw in a fifth with the promise that if it didn't feel great I'd back it off. Good news: it felt great.

I like the rides where you break it up because a long ride on the CT doesn't feel so bad. To be honest I hate when you write "Endurance ride." Because then I feel bored.

Have a great day Coach! You rule!

Love Mary

The important part is the wattage file that should accompanies this email. Actually I just hop onto Cycling peaks for that. I typically look at my workouts later on in the day, that way I am a bit removed from them and I can be more objective. How did I maintain that effort? What is my TSS?

So thus far things are going smoothly. I should be right on target for a smooth race in new Orleans. I am saving my peaks for the Musselman and for Cheatwater.... er... Clearwater where my goal is to out ride every drafter on the course. HA HA! I have just been informed that I have joined the Driving Miss Daisy age group, and it will be fun to get in there with the elders and mix it up a bit! Get out your walkers ladies..... my carbon fiber roller is wicked fast!

4 comments:

Jennifer Harrison said...

YOU crack me up, Mary! Welcome to the big girls' Age group: 35-39! :) hee hee....Grrrrrrrr! Nevermind, I am on the back end of that AG. Miss Daisy is still sassy.

The note to yourself is hilarious. My note (if I coached myself), would be;
Dear coach:
You suck and I hate your workouts. You make me suffer and cry and instead I decided to go out for M&Ms with my friends instead. What do you think about that? Love, Miss Daisy.

So, my bad a$$ self sucks. :)

Ryan said...

Hey, I saw your coach at a race once.

And....

Va Va Va Vooom! She is one HAWT smoking tri chick!

Oh, yeah yeah yeah, funny, smart, engaging, educated, well read, polite, and HAWT!

Laura said...

I love that you share your emails to your coach and that you sign-off with she rocks everyday. (I would agree!)

I think I've read somewhere that really smart people talk to themselves, or else I think I read that somewhere because I talk to myself sometimes.... ;)

Damie said...

Hilarious. :) I do hope you outride every drafter out there. I am glad you are having fun self-coaching. I am doing the same, but without your experience. Maybe I should try emailing myself and see if that helps too.