Monday, February 9, 2009

million dollar mistake

I will finally will break my silence, and I know the suspense has been killing you since the news broke last week about my boyfriend Michael Phelps and his bong hitting habits. I think I have heard every argument.... cut the guy a break..... he had no childhood........ he hasn't taken a day off in three years. To all of that I say spare me.

When I walk through a store with my eight year old little boy and he catches a glimpse of a Michael Phelps picture, book magazine, cereal box, you will hear him scream eight isles away "OHMYGODTHAT'SMICHAELPHELPS!"

Right now he does not know that Michael Phelps took a hit off a bong, he does not know what a bong is (there are very big advantages to developmental delays sometimes....) but what do I tell him if and when he asks me..... Mom, if you say it is wrong to do drugs, why can Michael Phelps do drugs and it is okay?

What do I say to an eight year old boy who has done what many other young boys have done, found someone to believe in. Someone who gives them hope, someone who has beat the odds. What do I say to that?

We all make mistakes?

What about Joe Smith factory worker who works three jobs to make ends meet and support his children. I imagine he hasn't had a full day off in three years either. What if he's been working that hard at those jobs since he was sixteen as well? If Joe Smith factory worker takes a hit off the bong..... I imagine he might not be treated with such empathy and kindness.

Hell I work pretty damn hard and I don't get a lot of days completely off (and yes, it is by choice, but I believe Phelps had a choice too, unless I missed the part when he was drafted into swimming at gunpoint). I am pretty sure if a picture of me showed up on the Internet looking like I know how to handle a bong.... I am pretty sure I would lose just about everything I had.

Because Phelps is an athlete makes him more stressed out than Joe Smith factory worker? So it makes it okay for Phelps but not for Joe Smith?

By being who he is Phelps is an American icon. He knew this as he stepped into the role of Olympian and if I remember correctly his lesson should have been learned when he got that DWI a few years back. I was sure then Mama Phelps would have killed him. I wonder if she has now?

Yes he is held to a higher standard than Joe Smith. And isn't that so interesting in itself? Phelps promotes saying no to drugs, living the clean life and beating all the odds.

And really Michael.... did you really think in this day and age that if you are at a party hitting the Mary Jane, you really think someone with $$ signs in their eyes won't whip out that camera phone?

Really? You don't think you should have thought a little but more about that?

I think it is sad. I think it is wrong. I am proud of Kellogg's for dropping him and for USA swimming for placing a suspension on him. In a society that seems to have trouble with morality itself I don't want to see people just patting him on the back.

You had my son's trust Michael Phelps. Now you need to earn it back. Because in essence the fans, your fans, pay your multimillion dollar salaries. We watched you, dove in the pool with you, held out breath as you took that final stroke, we cried tears as we listened to the National Anthem with you...... we as Americans feel like we know you. Yes we live in a culture that makes a living out of tearing good people down. I think you are a good person Phelps. I think you were really stupid.... again.

So what should I tell my son? I don't know yet. Because I hope that not through his endorsements and his fast swimming time, but by his actions Michael Phelps can show the world who has supported him that you can redeem yourself from a very stupid mistake.

1 comment:

Pedergraham said...

Mary, the DWI...I would have thought he would have learned his lesson from that. Andrew and I were talking about this over the weekend and I mentioned to him that one of the things that I observed as a kid was that it was possible to have such a commitment to swimming that it was possible to avoid the realities of life and the way the rest of the world works. It is much easier to have to "grow up" at age 14 with your friends, as opposed to age 24, when everyone else has already matured socially (at least supposedly).