Thursday, December 14, 2006

Coming Back


Coming Back
2006 was somewhat of a difficult year for me athletically, yet professionally it was a great year. The business grew, our athletes did well, however I was hampered by an injury. About a year ago I partially tore my Achilles tendon and subsequently spent 12 weeks on crutches. Sure I finished 3 half ironmans including the inaugural 70.3 world champs, but I was just a shadow of my former self.
Three weeks ago I began the journey back. After a quick offseason I have rejoined my former coach, I have begun training and I feel wonderful. Perhaps this injury was the best thing to have ever happened to me. I was getting a little arrogant I think. This time things are different, I have perspective, I have humility, and I have discovered that I still have heart.
Here in upstate New York things are strangely warm. While we should be three feet under in terms of snow, we are in the 50's. Today I took the opportunity to spend my long ride on my mountain bike, on some trials in the amazing Dryer Road Mountain Bike Park, here in Victor New York. I adore the off-road life this time of year. It's easier on the body and especially easier on the mind. The crunching of leaves, the cool crisp air, it all makes for a few hours of peace and tranquility in a world that doesn't offer that too often. For this piece of time I am grateful.
So here is to 2007, a comeback year. May it bring what it will, and all of the lessons with it.
:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: