Saturday, December 30, 2006

Weekly Check-up

First recovery week under the belt, and things feel well. A total of 13 hours of easy didn't feel quite that easy as I am recovering from pneumonia. Fortunately I seem to acquire pneumonia once a year (pediatric emergency nurse...), that gives me the "bragging rights" (aka stupidity) to be able to train through it. Lightly of course, no interval stuff here.... okay except in the pool. I have convinced myself that as long as I get an equal amount of rest, then training is permissible.

The pneumonia has resolved, I am breathing easy, down to a few coughs a day, and feeling much better. There is always that strange sense of victory, kind of like when you drink an obscene amount of liquor as a college student.... you know it is horrid for you but you live to tell..... that's the way I finished the week.

Cresting the New Year I am looking forward to a slower work schedule, as I drop to one day a week in the pediatric emergency dept. This allows me to focus on my boys, the Ironman year, my business and my yoga teaching. And trust me that's an empty plate for me.

A quick review of systems here:

Swim: Felt terrific in the pool despite being sick. Got to train in between Heidi Grimm and Kelly Bergkessel this week, so that it in itself is awesome. Got an extra swim in this week also :-) Good for a recovery week.

Bike: oddly low mileage for me on the bike, again that's what recovery is for. I am utilizing the spinning bike and the trainer on which I can measure slope, cadence, speed, and wattage. I haven't paid much attention to watts this week.

Run: Just 3 runs this week, 5 miles and 2 X 10 miles. All easy pace. I am savoring the grey winter days that I missed when I was injured last year. The cold crisp air and the snow is finally here.

Yoga: Made it to 3 classes this week, and almost have my forearm balance away from the wall.

Strength: Finally widdled my functional strength training program down to the exercises I love and that work within the timeframe.

Nutrition: Eating well, aiming for 5 fruits and vegetables per day. I began a course of pro biotics this week, recommend to me by my naturopath. I will check weight next week, but all feels well.

Next week brings specific workouts, and an increase to 15 hours. My Thursday 3:30 ride on the trainer is something I actually am looking forward to. A year ago I was in the Boot, and now I am not. That is progress.

So Happy New Year to all of you, I hope it brings with it everything you dream of! But for now, time for a quick nap before I hop on the bike.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: