Saturday, December 16, 2006

Commitment




There comes a time in a season or in a life when you must sit down and 110% commit to something you have set out to do, when you have set a goal. I have seen many goals set in many lives, and I have seen many goals never attained.


This year I have set the goal to complete 2 Ironmans. Ironman Lake Placid and Ironman Florida. My goal within each of those 2 races is to race my best. I don't know if that means sub 11 hours, or plus 12 hours. I will know what that will mean on race day.

As I have begun to ease into training, my first three weeks are complete. I have been getting in 85% of workouts, which I expect this time of the year as the holidays draw near. I know in January that percentage will be 100% if not 110%. Missing a few workouts here and there is not a big deal, it is the whole package that really and truly matters.

What I love about the Ironman, and distance racing in general, is that it pits me against me. When it is me on the starting line, it takes away the clouds, it takes away the fluff. For those hours it is me and myself. I can break through my fears, the things that hold me back. It is me, truly and honestly.

As I have committed to this goal, I have committed to so much more. To being healthy in mind, not just being healthy in body. And as I walk along the tightrope of just enough and too much, I am glad to be along for the ride.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: