Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year

Tonight is New Year's Eve and in typical fashion I am spending it in the Pediatric Emergency Dept, where I am a nurse (Now just one day a week!!!). This is a holiday I celebrated when I was young, and as an adult it is actually just as fun spending it in "the big house" as I like to call it. I work with many amazing people, and as much as I am phasing out of hospital nursing, I will always keep my foot in the door. The feeling of teamwork when a trauma rolls in at 3am is in itself exhilarating. And I have literally seen it all. From amputated arms to, well I should stop there. This kind of conversation is always a fork dropper at Christmas time when someone begs me to tell them ED stories.

As we approach 2007 I am so full of hope and so full of excitement. I can't really say that at midnight some enlightened feeling will overcome me, but I can say that I look forward with gratitude. It's been a wonderful 2006 and I can only hope for the same in terms of family, friends, career and triathlon.

But I have always been taught by my Dad to see the glass as half full. Even when things were at their worst and I was at my sickest, I saw the bright side. So I continue to see the bright side.

This year I uncovered alot about myself, I peeled away the layers. Tonight I sit here a more connected person, to myself, and to the world. I am more authentic than I have ever been and I feel like someone opened the gates and let me out!

So Happy New Year to all of you, may 2007 be the year you find your own inner light. And let it shine my friends, let it shine!

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: