Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Finding the Sweet Spot

Somehow my training and racing plans have become the talk of the town around here, and I can't figure out why. I have received so many emails from people I don't even know asking if I am racing this race, racing that race... why did I have Fall Frolic on the schedule and now it's gone? Am I injured? Burned out? Something wrong? 2,761 of you have visited since the beginning of the month... and I thank you for caring! WOW!

Believe me, I appreciate all of the kindness. But not to worry my friends, things here are going just fine. With Coach T steering the ship I have decided to put my 110% focus into Ironman Florida. And that means no triathlons until November 3rd.

You will however see me make an uncharacteristic move in racing at the Rochester 1/2 Marathon and Hospice 10 miler, on fresh legs, as a focused race. Usually I like to sandwich these races with a bike or more running miles.

But what I have been doing hasn't been working, so it was time for something different. And that's what happens with training and with life sometimes. We get stuck in ruts. The same old thing. It produces results in the beginning, and then thing filter out. Flatten out. The passion remains but something isn't clicking anymore.

That's when it is time for a fresh outlook.

Now understand that I have handed Coach T the impossible. Help me have my best race at Ironman Florida. After I have just done Ironman Lake Placid. Here is 14 weeks Coach, have fun!

In 14 weeks some massive brand new fitness level is not going to be built. I won't be running 6 minute miles in the Ironman just yet.

What will happen however, is already happening. Focus. Polishing. Purpose. With Coach T we will take this gigantic base I have built up and fine tune with very purposeful training.

And today is day one of that.

You know trouble lies ahead when you leap out of bed at 4:45 am for your first sweet spot ride. It's a ride designed to make maximum fitness gains without destroying me. I get to ride my bike hard and I can't wait. Usually I do these rides on the computrainer, because of the control-ability it allows me. The only thing I think about during these are time and wattage. And I will be able to recreate this scenario in terms of temperature, weather, etc. Long rides I like to do outside for obvious reasons :-)

So thank you for the voices of concern. I do appreciate it more than you know. To be surrounded by such a great community is wonderful. Know that everything is just fine here at Camp Egg. Curt is preparing for ITU World's.... we leave for Germany a week from today... and I am preparing for IM Floirda.

And god love little Luc.... he's adjusting to life in a cast just fine. He even gets a new fiberglass one today, color of his choice. He's good on wheels and on crutches!

Thank you for stopping by.

:-) mary

No comments: