Sunday, August 19, 2007

Snapshot

One of the things I have grown to appreciate about life in Rochester NY, is the choices we have for training. Out my door I can run hills or flats. I can open water swim or hit the pool. I can run a hilly road, a hilly trail, flats or a track. I have Canindaigua Lake or Lake Ontario. There literally is no restriction to what I can train on, and today was no exception.

I met Coach T at Braddock Bay, right on the Lake Ontario State Parkway. Here I can ride 112 miles of flat, which is highly convenient when training for Ironman Florida. Today was Functional Threshold Power testing day (FTP). And today coach was riding. Which was a bonus.

We started off heading west on the smooth pavement. 20 minute warm up. 5 minute flat out. 10 minutes easy and 20 minutes balls out. The gun went off and I began my 20 minute balls out effort. Within minutes I was riding in another time.... it took me back to the year 2002, and oddly it was the same time of the month, the end of August.

I had just bombed my first Ironman. I made rookie mistakes and went a 13:43. All eyes were on me and I fell on my face. My soon to be good friend Kelly had made her Iron debut in an 11:18. But again it was late August and it was the Hamlin Beach Triathlon, one of the country;s oldest and now nonexistent races. A local race company has tried to revive it, but it hasn't been the same.

The Hamlin Beach Triathlon was named the Mark Page Hamlin Beach Triathlon, and I sit here with the winner's plaque in my office. On it is a picture of Mark Page at the Hawaii Ironman. Mark Page was the brother of Full Moon Vista owner, Scott Page (which opened a few years ago.). I never knew him, but I will always remember him.

As I believe the story goes, Mark Page was out training, when a van made a right into a driveway in front of him. I believe Mark hit the van and was killed. He was one of the original RATS (Rochester Area Triathletes), and the loss devastated the triathlon community. As it should.

The Hamlin Beach Triathlon was then dedicated to him. And it became the "Who's Who" of Western New York Triathlon. Every August anyone who was everyone would come to town for this spectacular race. Directed by Bill Kehoe, then Carolyn Krisen, who were locals as well, it was one of the best races in the area. In fact at one time it was a qualifier for the Hawaii Ironman.

I had won the race already once, as Mary Workman. Actually I had won the race twice, only to find out afterwards that I had been directed off course. So it was 2002 and I was now Mary Eggers and the female field was stacked. A strong of terrific local women were lined up. Because of the recent Ironman performances in the local paper I was not selected as one of the women's favorites, which was good for me. I like being the underdog.

I knew Kelly would be racing, I didn't know here well but I knew she had a killer swim / run combo. My strength was on the bike, and that's where I'd focus. For I had redemption on my mind. The girls had all kicked my ass in Placid and some let me know it. Fuel to the Fire.

The Lake was rough as always and I knew Kelly would be 2 minutes ahead of me on the swim. Hell she was a senior at U Conn and a swimmer at that. I knew my secret weapon was my ride and when I hit that parkway I held nothing back. I caught Kelly and I put massive time on the rest of the field. Kelly rode a 1:08 and I rode my personal best 1:04. Dr. Les was riding, this was before the bike accident we were in which ended his cycling career.

Aside racing Kelly that day, my race with Dr. Les is an amazingly fond memory. It's where I first met the chiropractor and it felt like home.

I came off the bike about 2 minutes in front of Kelly, and my friends kept me updated through the 10K run. That was plenty of time for her to catch me, but I had hoped Ironman had taken something out of her legs. Each turn she was closer and closer. I had so many people screaming at me I finally screamed "SHUT UP" to my friend Joe.

That Sunday in August 2002 the race was mine to be had, and I had to fight my ass off for it. I eclipsed Kelly by just 30 seconds. When she came across that finish line we embraced and thus began a sisterhood. In the years to follow we have trained many many miles together. Although she lives in Boulder, that continues. That's what happens with friendships.

So this morning I was transported back in time to that day in 2002 when a friendship began, a demon was erased, and I was the last champion of the Mark Page Hamlin Beach Triathlon. More memorable than being named the champ were the experiences of the day. Like movie moments they reel through your mind.

As I was nearing the end of my 20 minute time trial I imagined the sun on my back, Dr. Les chasing me, and time standing still for just this few hours of time.

I was sad this morning when 20 minutes arrived on the screen of my power meter. I was sad to leave the memory, but that sadness turned into joy when I thought about all of the wonderful things that blossomed from that day. The journey I have taken since then, both in sport and in life.

A few minutes later Coach T caught up to me and we had a great easy ride on the parkway. Catching up, planning for IMFL, and just riding. I can't remember if I even knew Coach T back then, but again that's the journey we all take. Meeting new people, growing away from people, and unfortunately losing people.

I sit here and look up at this picture of Mark Page having his moment of absolutely glory. I never knew Mark Page but I imagine he was chock full of a passion for life. His finisher's picture shows it. A man at the end of his own journey, hands in the air, the most gigantic smile in the world, and not one ounce of pain. For someone who has just done a 10 hour Ironman that's damn neat to see, and an honor to be looking at. One moment of time, one moment of life, captured in a snapshot.

I can imagine that Mark Page never thought his finisher's picture would end up here. On my wall, in my office. And actually, that isn't where it belongs. I will take this to his brother, that's who ultimately should have it. On his wall, in his bike shop.

So I thank Mark Page for the memories he has created, without knowing it, without intending to. I thank Mark Page for the gratitude he has created within me. Without knowing, without intending to. Now that's a legacy. Moving and inspiring people whom you have never met. Just through the way you lived your life.

Inspiring me, through one moment of time. In one snapshot. Thank you Mark Page

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: