Thursday, August 2, 2007

Shifting Perspective


Recovery from Ironman Lake Placid is going well. I have not done too much, no structured training at all. Just a few swims in the lake, a few rides on the tandem with Luc and walking. Come Monday I know my 110% presence within my training will be required. There is plenty of work coming my way. In the month of October when the world is resting, I know I will need to be laser locked with focus.

I am appreciating Coach Trevor's approach to training and preparing. It's very no-nonsense and very realistic-goal defined. There are few shades of grey. And I like it. Paces have been defined. Goals written down and feedback attained. Zones are set. Testing dates have been established. Accountability.... which I love ... to myself and to my coach.... is a high priority.

Realistically there is not a whole lot of fitness that can be gained between now and Nov 3rd. On the other hand, I have a magnificent base form IMLP and the focus is going to shift to race preparation. Race paced workouts. No latte rides with my buddies :-)

As the week ends and the program start date is nearing, I feel excited. I have kept the priority as fun for the week. I have been rehabbing a few nicks to my body. I am doing some light strength work this week. I am finding order in nutrition again.

Last week I thought I'd go really hog wild and pay a visit to the Golden Arches. Hell if I was going to allow myself to be bad.... let's be really bad. Dreams of a Big Mac and those french fries filled my tummy.

So I did it. I supersized myself and allowed just one moment of total recklessness. The problem with developing good nutrition and good eating habits however... is that the body will tend to reject the garbage. And that's what happened. 3 bites into my massive "burger".... my stomach turned. A few fries and it turned again. I ended up throwing it all out and making myself the most delicious grilled chicken salad there ever was.

So much for indulgence. Now indulgence has a different tone. Just like my training for IMFL.

To grow we must shift our perspective. Let go of the old way of doing things. Now there is a time to hold on, there is a time to stay with what works. But be open to something new and something different. Even if it is a leap.

For me, the shift is being specific. Specific about every run, every ride, every pace and every calorie. The shift is getting specific in my goals and my aspirations as an athlete. The shift is allowing myself to look beyond what I have always done. Looking beyond the borders of me. Permitting myself to be pulled apart in more ways than one.

Party on my friends because come Monday... we are back to business.

Thank you for stopping by.

:-) Mary Eggers

No comments: