Friday, August 31, 2007

Yipeee! Day Three!

Day three pictures available here

Welcome to day three in Hamburg Germany, and welcome to excitement. I awoke at the typical early hour ready and willing to tackle the bike course. For this time I had done my homework. I memorized every road, I drew it on the map, I created the cue sheet and taped it to the Handlebars. And at 6:20am we were off and riding. The streets were busy but the drivers were all nice. Today we would navigate correctly.

And then.... a group was ahead of us and Curt caught up to them. He signaled to me that they knew where they were going. And in no time we missed the first turn. I called ahead but no one responded. Irritation filled my body. The streets over here were too, too busy.

More riders pulled up behind us. I told them we were going the wrong way. But since Curt was sticking to them, so too had I. When they finally realized they were so off course, it was just too late to salvage the ride and get Curt home on time. By now it was 7am and traffic had picked up quite a bit. I convinced Curt to turn around, we could try cycling along the wonderful bike path that we had found uesterday.

On the way back I turne doff the Power Meter. I turned off the watch. The stop and go and insanity of being lost... just too much for now. I was losing enjoyment of just cycling.

But a few moments later I found it again. The brick path was wonderful. Nothing I could go aero on or even hit a "Sweet Spot Interval"... but a place I could spin and enjoy.

So today became a day to turn off the watches, the paces, the intervals... and today became a day to just relax and enjoy. Every time, it happens the same way. The moment I jump off of it, is the moment I touch down.

Suddenly I could feel the pace during my run this afternoon, along the same path. I admit yes I had the Garmin on, but no I didn't look at it. I just ran and relaxed.

I don't know how much time it took for swim 4,000 yards in the heaven that Baderland pool allows us. I just swam

Today also brought an exciting day of racing. The junior women & men raced this morning, and the Under 23 men & women raced late this afternoon. It was inspiring to watch the desire, passion and dedication on the faces of these "kids". All races were very exciting and the weather was awful! Rain and wind and just a peek of sunshine. Yet these teams pushed on and raced their very best.

Tomorrow we ride ealry again, and then hang out for the Citizens Race called the City Man. Should be very good!

:-) Mary

No comments: