Monday, August 6, 2007

Saddle up... Buttercup

The two week Ironman vacation / off-season has ended, and this morning it was time to get to work. Coach Trevor is steering the ship and I am delighted to be following behind. This morning was a *** Gasp*** 30 minute run. Not too much to swallow for an Irongirl for the third time, just two weeks ago.

But this run had a different theme... different feel. Rather than the workout I've seen for three years "Zone II, pay attention to breathing", I had three things to focus on. Pace, heart rate, cadence. Three specific things.

Looking at day one, you might think "30 minutes?" and wish me luck at Ironman Florida. To understand the workout you must see how it fits into the puzzle of the plan. And the plan is laid out. Holy crap it's laid out.

Suddenly when someone has really taken the time to create that for you, you have that desire to show up. 100% for each and every workout whether it is a hard or easy one. 100% commitment is what you suddenly feel. You know the plan is new to you and you know that taking on the crazy girl in town could be a dangerous feat. But you know that for this race all eyes are on you, but the only eyes that matter are your own.

Perhaps this is the time you really drop the past. This is the time you use the lessons of the failures. This is the time you stop reliving all of the glory moments. This is the time you reach deep within yourself and instead of finding that girl you used to be.... you realize that she was no match for the one you really are.

As I look ahead through the next 14 weeks I do so without question, without doubt, without uncertainty. I look to the next fourteen weeks with desire, with commitment, with joy and with passion. I am going to be tested. I am going to be really tested.

And I am willing.

In those weak moments strength is built. In those uncertain spots confidence will be built. Mantras will be developed and remembered or written on my legs. If I want the prize I have to change the way I am going about reaching for it, because it hasn't worked so far.

So I am welcoming this new path, this new idea, this new chapter. I want it bad. I can taste it. And I will work hard to put myself in the best possible position for it.

So giddy up my friends.... we could be seeing more than just the dream, the possibility. Just maybe, maybe we will see the reality.

Thanks for stopping by.
:-) Mary Eggers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROCK ON MARY!! GO GO GO!! :) Jen

Cindy Jo said...

I just did my first post IMLP run and although I felt fine, my right leg kept twitching the rest of the day!

So yes, a few short workouts to remind your body what it needs to get back to isn't insignificant at all.