Thursday, December 27, 2007

Avoiding Illness

It was a beautiful Christmas here in Western New York. The entire family was together, we did a lot of sledding.... and guess what? The greatest sled on earth happens to be a an air mattress. Trust me on that one. I will be posting some pictures tomorrow.

One thing to remember is that we all get sick. Training happens or it doesn't when we are sick. My old rule was if the illness was above the chest... go easy. Below the chest.... rest. I was almost able to stick to that rule, when I was diagnosed with pneumonia last week. After having it for over a week and forcing through easy workouts... I finally surrendered and had a chest x-ray.

The next day my 30 minute run lasted 4 minutes and 54 seconds before I spent the next 6 hours, and the entire next day in bed.

That happens when you are stupid.

This week has been focused on light workouts and getting better. My runs are feeling good, my bikes are fine, swimming is fine. All are slow, but this time of year they should be.

You can't fight illness. And you can't always prevent it. I know many who double dose on vitamins to attempt to prevent illness, or to try to get past it quicker. Here are my illness tips:

  • Your body can only absorb so much of any given nutrient. Mega dosing is useless because the body will simply excrete what it does not absorb.
  • Illness, colds, etc ..... the very best prevention is hand washing. Those antibacterial soaps are wonderful but remember it is actually the friction of rubbing your hands together that eliminates the germs better than the alcohol. Have nothing but water available? Then rub your wet hands together for 2 round of "Happy Birthday" and you will be set.
  • Avoid antibiotics as much as possible. Colds caused by a virus will not be at all affected by an antibiotic. Many pediatricians prescribe them (not mine) to appease parents. You build up a resistance to antibiotics every time you take them. Have bacterial pneumonia? Yes, take them. Have a viral cold? You might as well drink water. You just have to ride a virus out.
  • Do what you can, do it lightly, and rest. The lungs were designed to breathe in cold air. They are lined with tiny hairs that warm the air up upon entry to the lungs. Now, with a chest cold breathing in ultra cold air can cause bronchospasam and make you cough, so playing it safe and wearing something over your mouth is never a bad idea.

In summary.... you just have to accept being sick. There is not a whole lot you can do to prevent it aside form washing your hands and wearing a mask around town. Take care of your body, eat the best food you can, and give your body the chance it needs to heal.

4 comments:

kodiacbear said...

AMEN to that!!

Amanda said...

feel better mary! you still gave a wonderful yoga class this am:)

wiley said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Mary! So glad you were well enough to teach the Wednesday night Power Vinyasa class that was my one year birthday practicing yoga. Thanks for being such a great yogi and inspiration to me. Had you not encouraged me that very first class I came to I would not have returned(especially after being so sore after that first basics class you were subbing for!) You are a terrific teacher and I do not say those words lightly since I am in the business of teaching teachers. Wishing you a very Happy New Year! I predict great things in 2008 for both of us!!!! Wiley

Marit C-L said...

Feel better soon! I will send you lots of "good vibes"!!! Happy Christmas and Happy New year... it's never fun to be sick - but better now than a week before a big race. Just get it out of the system... and enjoy the extra rest as much as possible. Hang in there!