Monday, December 17, 2007

Running Again

I had to warn every single person I knew in Rochester. Look out… I warned…. we are going to be in for something new, something terrible and I promise they said that the sky is going to fall. Literally.

Sit down, I said. Take a breath. It's going…. it's going….. TO SNOW!!!!!

I know, I hear you gasp. I know how strange it is to live in Western New York and hear this very strange word call snow. I know the weather forecasters are trying to frighten you; we might get 6 inches… a foot… maybe even 2! Stock up on your emergency kits and hunker down people!!!! The sky is falling.

But let's not let the weather channel in on our little secret. We'd steal their fun. Listen close everyone….. we are not new to snow! Holy Cow you cry! I know, I know. We don't want them to know because what would they have to say to us?

Truth of the matter is, we don't get frightened until power lines hit our houses. We don't blink an eye until the feet total over 5. This is snow for heaven's sake and we've been dealing with it all our lives. In fact… we even like it.

See, this is the United States of America and being that it is the good old USA, we can live wherever we want to! So those who live here, choose to live here. Those who don't …. take a breath…. DON'T!

Case in point, my brother. He moved to Georgia years ago. Funny thing is though, he is immersed in air conditioning. Doesn't go outside much.

My sister…. moved to Paris 8 years ago. I don't know if it was the snow or the bad croissants that drove her away. Doesn’t matter she's a full fledged Frenchie now.

So when Sunday morning arrived and there was a mere foot of snow on the ground I didn't think much of it. Except that it was ass cold out. Ever been in ass cold? It's just like it sounds. Ass cold.

But we HTFU 'round here.

And I was ever so grateful for my recent treadmill purchase. Because today was my first land run in 3 weeks and I was not about to go ice skating. But wait…. our mill of dread is not in the comfort of the house. Our home gym is in the garage. We bike, vasa train, and now run in there. And yes, today it was ass cold in the garage.

It helps us HTFU to train in there.
So I followed instructions and I ran slower than E pace and I focused on cadence as I ran a gingerly 30 minutes. It felt incredible, I felt like I had been given new legs. Could this rehab plan have actually worked?

So far so good. Pain? What pain? None, nada. Zip, silch. I smiled form ear to ear, hell my smile might have even been wrapped around the back of my head I was so delighted. Amazing this thing called rest and rehab. Amazing what happens when you listen to your body and to your coach. Amazing when you know when it is not the time to HTFU because to do that through a niggle only ends in disaster.

Happily running I will be, on the treadmill until the streets are ice free and don't present a danger of re injuring a tendon. I feel great, hopeful, and ready. As we are slowly beginning to ramp up training I am holding a nice and steady low 10 hours a week right now.

Did I mention that I did 2 Ironmans in 3.5 months? My husband told me that I reminded him… enough. When I reminded him that an Iron Girl needs to take the time to heal… he reminded me of one thing….

I need to HTFU and shut the hell up!

When I am ninety and crocheting transition bags in the nursing home with my titanium walker, sitting next to the senile and over caffeinated Jen Harrison…..

"Jen in 2007 I did 2 Ironmans…." I will tell her, she will have Alzheimer's by then and won't mind the story telling….

"Really?" she will say as she sips an empty coffee mug. "That's nice. Did they put soy milk in my coffee? I really need soy in here…."

"Yes," I will tell her, "And you did Hawaii a few times."

"Who's Hawaii?" She will ask… "Was he cute?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MARY!!! GOTTA Love ya!!! Are you calling me OLD? HAHAHAHA. Yep...I guess 37 next month. Crap. :) Thanks for the laugh tonight! Jen H.

Wingman said...

Ahh Western NY winters how I miss thee. Not only is it ass cold but because of all the damn lakes the wind contains tiny razor blades of ice!

If you were actually hard you would have moved the treadmill out of the garage; that door provides too much insulation.